What would LMDE 3 give me over Debian Stretch for my server?

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CTGreybeard

What would LMDE 3 give me over Debian Stretch for my server?

Post by CTGreybeard »

To LMDE3 or not to LMDE3 ... you know the quote ... I've got a project to replace an older Mac Mini with an INTEL NUC box. I am also planning on getting a new Mintbox when the new ones come out in June. The server, though, is up in the air as to what I put on it. It will run generally headless with admin via SSH and Webmin, as it will just be serving stuff it really doesn't need a GUI. I've got a Stretch VM right now that I've built in the basic configuration that I'm pretty happy with. Then I began to think about LMDE as an option.

So I have two questions: what would LMDE give me over bare Debian Stretch in this scenario and, should I wait for LMDE3 here if that is the right way to go?

The server is serving up, in no particular order: DNS, small web page, Postfix, MySQL, reverse proxy.

Thoughts?

Bill W
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nuts2u
Level 3
Level 3

Re: What would LMDE 3 give me over Debian Stretch for my server?

Post by Nuts2u »

Buy a Synology NAS. You will get the linux kernel, beautiful DSM to manage your device. Plus it will host all the apps you are currently running on your old serve.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. Welcome to Hell. Here's your copy of Windows.
MintBean

Re: What would LMDE 3 give me over Debian Stretch for my server?

Post by MintBean »

Personally I prefer my Ubuntu server to the Synology I used to own. Something like Webmin gives you a decent web interface ala DSM.
LMDE wouldn't add anything worthwhile to a server. It's not what it's designed for after all.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”