Lmde 3 beta

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lotech
Level 2
Level 2

Lmde 3 beta

Post by lotech »

Hi there,

I am a long time user of LMDE and just installed 'Cindy' Beta, except some minor cosmetic issue in the installer everything worked fine. I've a question, do I need to reinstall when the final version becomes available, or I just keep updating will do ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only ;p
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Lmde 3 beta

Post by Pierre »

you won't need to re-install, once the Final is Released - just keep updating it.

BTW: as an Beta Release - - Don't install this system onto your Production Machine.
- just in case, anything does break.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
lotech
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lotech »

Got it thanks !
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only ;p
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

The live boot didn't see my keyboard/mouse/touch pad to try it out. :shock:
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

HaveaMint wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:14 am The live boot didn't see my keyboard/mouse/touch pad to try it out. :shock:
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3629

"As detailed above, we’re experimenting with Github for release bug squashing, so please report bugs at https://github.com/linuxmint/lmde-3-cin ... eta/issues rather than in the comment section."

You might need to go there.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

catweazel wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:27 am
HaveaMint wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:14 am The live boot didn't see my keyboard/mouse/touch pad to try it out. :shock:
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3629

"As detailed above, we’re experimenting with Github for release bug squashing, so please report bugs at https://github.com/linuxmint/lmde-3-cin ... eta/issues rather than in the comment section."

You might need to go there.
Thanks, I already posted it there. I was just commenting in here.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

HaveaMint wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:37 am
catweazel wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:27 am You might need to go there.
No worries.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

catweazel wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:38 am
HaveaMint wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:37 am
catweazel wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:27 am You might need to go there.
No worries.

Cheers.
And welcome back Crusty errr Curmudgeon
callagg2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by callagg2 »

I notice there is no "Driver Manager" on LMDE3.

For many this would not matter too much, but when you have an Nvidia GPU, it's annoying. Opening only a few browser tabs on Firefox soon causes Nouveau to freeze up. I was just going to give up on LMDE3 until i thought i would try the Software Manager for GPU drivers. Sure as hell, there are Nvidia Managers there (albeit in an amateur layout where a search for Nvidia returns both drivers and dependencies all sharing the same icons - ridiculous). Why was there no entry in the "Welcome Screen" about Nvidia drivers being listed in the Software Manager.

I know some might say it should be obvious you would look for (driver) software in the Software Manager, but when you're used to Linux Mint's driver manager, you don't look elsewhere :D So, maybe for LMDE, we can still have a "Driver Manager" entry in the "first steps" of the "welcome screen" and have it open a linux to the Software manager or a note explaining this.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

callagg2 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:06 pm I notice there is no "Driver Manager" on LMDE3.

For many this would not matter too much, but when you have an Nvidia GPU, it's annoying. Opening only a few browser tabs on Firefox soon causes Nouveau to freeze up. I was just going to give up on LMDE3 until i thought i would try the Software Manager for GPU drivers. Sure as hell, there are Nvidia Managers there (albeit in an amateur layout where a search for Nvidia returns both drivers and dependencies all sharing the same icons - ridiculous). Why was there no entry in the "Welcome Screen" about Nvidia drivers being listed in the Software Manager.

I know some might say it should be obvious you would look for (driver) software in the Software Manager, but when you're used to Linux Mint's driver manager, you don't look elsewhere :D So, maybe for LMDE, we can still have a "Driver Manager" entry in the "first steps" of the "welcome screen" and have it open a linux to the Software manager or a note explaining this.
+1 for that post! I tried LMDE 3 yesterday and the main reason I went back to the ubuntian Mint was the lack of a driver manager. I can't watch movies (not to mention playing games) without the nvidia driver, so LMDE 3 was useless to me.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Valsodar wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:36 pm
callagg2 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:06 pm I notice there is no "Driver Manager" on LMDE3.

+1 for that post! I tried LMDE 3 yesterday and the main reason I went back to the ubuntian Mint was the lack of a driver manager. I can't watch movies (not to mention playing games) without the nvidia driver, so LMDE 3 was useless to me.
Isn't there a welcome screen with codecs to install?
if not try synaptic search
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

sdibaja wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:09 pm Isn't there a welcome screen with codecs to install?
if not try synaptic search
There is a welcome screen but not like the WS on Mint. Mint's WS has an option for drivers, while LMDE has no such a thing.
I also couldn't find Synaptic, altough that's not a problem cuz I can easily install it. I installed it once on a Manjaro system, so LMDE shouldn't be any harder. But when you have gotten used to the availability of the driver manager, you look for it by habit and it's quite disappointing when you can't find it.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
Astrotrain

Post by Astrotrain »

It seems some people here are too "ubuntunized" for LMDE. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”