Skype icon and Update Manager not appearing in systray [SOMETIMES]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Skype icon and Update Manager not appearing in systray [SOMETIMES]

Post by ron_h »

LMDE3 Cinnamon 64bit

I've just updated from LMDE2 to LMDE3. I have Skype (which says it's the latest version) set to startup with the system. However, the icon does not appear in the systray. If I go into the menu and click on Skype, it comes up immediately (but still not in the systray) so it seems to be running. How do I get the icon to appear in the systray ? It worked just fine with LMDE2, by the way.

Ron
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Skype icon not appearing in systray

Post by ron_h »

In the .xsession-errors file I note the following
cinnamon-session[938]: EggSMClient-WARNING: t+0.82496s: Desktop file '/home/ron/.config/autostart/skype.desktop' has malformed Icon key 'skype.png'(should not include extension)
It looks like this might be relevant but I have no idea what to do next

Ron
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Skype icon not appearing in systray

Post by ron_h »

Sometimes I hate computers.

I shut down the system for a few hours. When I booted up again, the Skype icon is in the systray.

The line I noted from xsession-errors before appears in the current xsession-errors file this time too.

Ron
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Skype icon not appearing in systray [SOMETIMES]

Post by ron_h »

Well, sometimes after I boot up, the Skype icon does not appear in the system tray even though I have Skype in my Startup Applications. For the last couple of weeks, sometimes the Update Manager icon also does not appear in the system tray. In both cases, if I start the apps via the menu, the relevant icon then does appear in the system tray.

Ron

Return to “Beginner Questions”