Flatpak - what can I do with it - SOLVED

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
urdrwho
Level 3
Level 3

Flatpak - what can I do with it - SOLVED

Post by urdrwho » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:34 pm

Flatpak is installed with Cindy but in all my different distro's over the years I've never used any flatpak stuff. What can I do with it and is it worth the time to try to do anything with it?
Last edited by urdrwho on Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Flatpak - what can I do with it

Post by Pepi » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:21 pm

Delete it :mrgreen: I got rid of mine and saved a lot of disk space. Advice by DAMIEN

IF you have NOT installed anything on your system with flatpaks and you really wish to get rid of flatpak and flatpak hub, the commands below should do it for you...DAMIEN

flatpak remote-delete flathub
Then go into "synaptic" search for "flatpak" and remove everything marked in flatpak EXCEPT for the "xdg-desktop-portal":

Then cleanup thereafter:
sudo apt autoremove --purge

Then Clear Miscellaneous Detritus:
dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | sudo xargs dpkg --purge

Code: Select all

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | xargs sudo apt-get purge

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:36 pm

I will put those commands Pepi provided for you in code tags so as to avoid any confusion as what you need to copy and paste into the terminal to remove flatpak and its hub from your system if you no longer wish to have it...DAMIEN

Then go into "synaptic" search for "flatpak" and remove everything marked in flatpak EXCEPT for the "xdg-desktop-portal":

Then cleanup thereafter:

sudo apt autoremove --purge
Then Clear Miscellaneous Detritus:

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | sudo xargs dpkg --purge

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | xargs sudo apt-get purge
ORDO AB CHAO

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:05 pm

Apologise for that :oops: I should have just directed him to the thread. Old age :wink:

urdrwho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by urdrwho » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:26 pm

A oh!

Today before seeing the answer to remove I saw a PDF program on some flatpak site and installed it. This is the installed https://code-industry.net/masterpdfeditor/

Now when I try the first code to remove I get an error message:

error: Can't remove remote 'flathub' with installed ref runtime/org.kde.Platform/x86_64/5.13 (at least)

quote=DAMIEN1307 post_id=1722982 time=1575398166 user_id=206928]
I will put those commands Pepi provided for you in code tags so as to avoid any confusion as what you need to copy and paste into the terminal to remove flatpak and its hub from your system if you no longer wish to have it...DAMIEN

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:43 am

You don't have to remove it - Damien has an ideological objection to flatpak which he's perfectly entitled to, but everyone doesn't have to share it.

What is it? In Mint it's integrated with Software manager and give you access to flatpak apps from the flathub remote. Just look in the flatpak section of Software Manager.

The advantage - flatpaks are generally the current release version of an application and often significantly newer than the version in the official repos. There will also be software available that isn't in the repo at all. Flatpaks also run in a semi-sandboxed environment.

The downsides - flatpack installs can use significantly more storage, particularly the first few installed. Mint has set them up to silently update shortly after login which some people don't like. Some flatpak applications don't integrate in quite the way they should with the system.

More info - http://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/introduction.html
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

urdrwho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by urdrwho » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:46 am

Ok I get it now. But I don't think flatpak is for me. It seems to be a lot more terminal commands and at 67 years old the hard drive in my hear is almost full :). So I am looking for simpler methods and the package manager does that for me. I want to remove something I go to the package manager and click.

Last night the first attempt at removing a flatpack and having error messages was enough proof for me that it isn't in my wheelhouse. I even went to the point of re-installing Cindy but only formated the / partition. I left home go but the flatpak install probably dropped a few eggs even in the home.
smurphos wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:43 am
You don't have to remove it - Damien has an ideological objection to flatpak which he's perfectly entitled to, but everyone doesn't have to share it.

More info - http://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/introduction.html

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:10 am

urdrwho wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:46 am
I don't think flatpak is for me. It seems to be a lot more terminal commands
Not necessarily. Some of the software in the Software Manager comes as a flatpak, with the one-click installation that so many people love. :)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”