pdf app

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mariababy
Level 1
Level 1

pdf app

Post by mariababy »

I am an Open University student and I am going to need to scan assignments into a pdf format. What app should I use.
I am using Linux Mint, LMDE2 'Betsy', cinnamon 64-bit
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: pdf app

Post by Moem »

mariababy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:59 am I am using Linux Mint, LMDE2 'Betsy', cinnamon 64-bit
That's great. I have moved your topic into the LMDE support area.

As for a PDF application, the default scanner application xsane saves as PDF by default.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

mariababy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:59 am I am an Open University student and I am going to need to scan assignments into a pdf format. What app should I use.
I am using Linux Mint, LMDE2 'Betsy', cinnamon 64-bit
Thanks in advance.
Perhaps you should think of upgrading to LMDE4, but about the subject of your topic, I'm using gscan2pdf (from LM Software Manager), which saves scans in PDF but has a lot of useful other features :
- can also use free djvu format
- can make a 'book' with a directory containing PDF and/or image files (jpg, png...)
- can use GIMP if installed as a file editor
- can read and convert CBF format (multiple pics) to PDF
- ... more to discover.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

You can use any software to write your assignment!

Either export as PDF (often available) or print to the CUPS-PDF printer (a software printer) to create a PDF file.

I wrote all my assignments using LyX (a GUI style LaTeX editor) - but the learning curve is a bit steep.
For non-maths assignments, LibreOffice ought to be OK.

Strongly recommend that you upgrade - you are at least 4+ years out of date.
jasom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jasom »

From my experience, you may need something for merging multiple pdf files into one. For this I use "PDF Arranger".

https://github.com/pdfarranger/pdfarranger
https://www.jasom.net - my personal website about open-source, WordPress, PHP, Linux and life.

Return to “Beginner Questions”