For how long can I keep using LMDE4?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mmm
Level 1
Level 1

For how long can I keep using LMDE4?

Post by mmm »

I have installed LMDE4 64-bit on a very old 2007 Latitude D430; 2GB RAM.
Seems to work OK.
I turned off "effects".

Does LMDE4 actually Expire?
Distrowatch doesn't show a date, whereas it does so for other versions.
Will LMDE5 be more demanding?
Monsieurzik
Level 1
Level 1

Re: For how long can I keep using LMDE4?

Post by Monsieurzik »

I think LMDE 5 will not be demanding more than now. And if you need a lighter DE, you can choose Mate or XFCE on LMDE too.
Actually, I'm with LMDE 4 with Mate on a 4GB 2008 DELL Laptop and it works like a charm, +/- 550 Mo at start. It would be less with XFCE.
LMDE 4 - Mate
JoeFootball
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JoeFootball »

mmm wrote: Does LMDE4 actually Expire?
Support will end sometime (not immediately) after the release of LMDE 5, but I don't believe an EOL date has been officially announced yet.
Fossy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fossy »

mmm wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:14 am
Does LMDE4 actually Expire?
Take a look at : viewtopic.php?t=315648
" Post by xenopeek » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:33 am
LMDE 4 is based on Debian 10. Debian 10 was releases mid last year and will be supported by the Debian security team for ~3 years from that date, with the Debian long-term support team providing ~2 more years of support. There is no announcement yet as to till when LMDE 4 will be supported. It will likely at be supported till mid 2022. “
Asus X75VD Intel© Core™ i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz × 2 / LTS Kernel 5.10 / RAM 6GB / SSD 260GB
Image currently runnig 11.2 Bullseye 64-bit Cinnamon 4.8 / Firefox ESR / DuckDuckGo
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M130fw
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

Reminder: the EOL date for the stable release is the date of the next stable release plus one year. For example, Debian bullseye ("buster +1") was released on 2021-08-14 so Debian buster's EOL is around 2022-08.
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
Fossy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fossy »

To clarify this see also : https://wiki.debian.org/DebianOldStable :
oldstable is a codename for the previous Debian stable repository, as long as security updates are provided. It is not just a name of the old stable version(s) of Debian.
When security updates are not provided anymore for oldstable, the repository is moved to http://archive.debian.org/.
Buster is the current oldstable.
FAQ
Q) Why oldstable ?
A.1) In a large organisation, it can take a while to plan, test and upgrade all computers.
A.2) Some Debian based custom distribution's stable version can be based on oldstable. Having oldstable is convenient for them too.
Q) When is it released ?
The old-stable is "created" 1 just before a new stable is released.
Q) How long will security updates be provided?
The security team tries to support a stable distribution for about one year after the next stable distribution has been released, except when another stable distribution is released within this year. It is not possible to support three distributions; supporting two simultaneously is already difficult enough. source: Debian Security FAQ
Asus X75VD Intel© Core™ i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz × 2 / LTS Kernel 5.10 / RAM 6GB / SSD 260GB
Image currently runnig 11.2 Bullseye 64-bit Cinnamon 4.8 / Firefox ESR / DuckDuckGo
kevinagain
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kevinagain »

Hi Fossy
I think it was you helping me in the last couple of days on the Debian forum with Debian 11? I'm Kevin McCready. Unfortunately I decided to nuke my Debian 11 and started again with LinuxMint 20.2
CODENAME=uma
EDITION="Xfce"
DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 20.2 Uma"
DESKTOP=Gnome
TOOLKIT=GTK

I really liked Debian because I could hit the SuperUser button and just start typing to find files and all sorts of things.
Unfortunately I couldn't tweak the system to make it work (my printer wouldn't work, my camera wouldn't work, the screen kept going blank, I couldn't even use strftime). And the installation process basically locked me out of administration rights which for a home user was awful. Having said all that I really wanted to support the community and I love the FOSS philosophy; in the past I've tried to help newbies, even with my limited knowledge.

Anyway, now I'm wondering if I should have installed LMDE4. Does it have the Superuser ability I liked? Can I switch to it easily without nuking my computer again?
ivar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ivar »

kevinagain wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:01 pm
And the installation process basically locked me out of administration rights which for a home user was awful.
I installed Virtualbox on a computer at home just for fiddling around. Installed Debian in a virtual machine using the netinstaller.

I guess you missed the familiar way of using Sudo to run with elevated rights? So did I , so I found this write-up :
https://medium.com/platform-engineer/ho ... 4d3c75ee21
Fossy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fossy »

kevinagain wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:01 pm
Anyway, now I'm wondering if I should have installed LMDE4. Does it have the Superuser ability I liked? Can I switch to it easily without nuking my computer again?
somewhere I don’t understand your “ superuser “ phobia : on any Linux OS you determine de facto during the installation that you are superuser (= root ) of the system .

You have no further need to do anything in order to use these SUDO rights i.e. :

***@***-x75vd:~$ sudo -l
[sudo] wachtwoord voor ***:
Overeenkomende standaarditems voor *** op ***-x75vd:
env_reset, mail_badpass,
secure_path=/usr/local/sbin\:/usr/local/bin\:/usr/sbin\:/usr/bin\:/sbin\:/bin
Gebruiker *** mag de volgende opdrachten uitvoeren op ***-x75vd: ( may execute the following commands )
(ALL : ALL) ALL
(ALL) ALL

***@***-x75vd:~$
kevinagain
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kevinagain »

Hi Fossy
Maybe i used the wrong word. I was thinking of the special key on my keyboard which has (unfortunately) a picture of the microsoft windows logo on it. It's on the left side between the crtl key and the alt key. When you press it in debian it allows you to instantly start typing something and debian seems to search your whole system and give you suggestions about files or programs or stuff you might want. When I press it in Mint it just brings up the same menu I can get by clicking on the LM logo at the bottom left of the screen. I'm not sure now of the name of that key on the keyboard or if Mint has a similar function like debian had.

I also meant that In debian the system installs two accounts automatically. One is the administrator and the other is a user.
JoeFootball
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JoeFootball »

kevinagain wrote: Maybe i used the wrong word.
The Super key ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_key ... rd_button)
Fossy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fossy »

@kevinagain ,
of topic : a small linguistic communication disorder (I am dutch-speaking and regularly have to call on DeepL Translator, which is generally not too bad, although sometimes nuances are lost or misunderstood). :?
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

Anyone can use LMDE 4 or any other distro as long as they desire. There are NO viruses to be concerned about in Linux and I have never had any kind of a problem with a virus or trojan in the 15 years since I started with Linux. I am still running LM 18.0 MATE on two of my laptops: A Thinkpad L430 with 8 GB memory I use for media, and the other, a Thinkpad T420 with 4 GB memory, which is both a media backup and a production backup machine. For the simple reason that they both have very low memory requirements (300s MB at idle) with LM 18.0 MATE. Even though a distro is no longer supported with security updates you can still use it for many years into the future. :D Don't be is a hurry to upgrade to the latest release because Linux in general has taken a quality control nosedive in the past several years.
acerimusdux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by acerimusdux »

kevinagain wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:16 pm
When I press it in Mint it just brings up the same menu I can get by clicking on the LM logo at the bottom left of the screen.
That menu also does have a search bar on it, and if you just start typing, it will search for programs and recent files (but won't search the whole system). Ohh...that's on Cinnamon, I see you were Xfce.
acerimusdux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by acerimusdux »

kevinagain wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:16 pm
I also meant that In debian the system installs two accounts automatically. One is the administrator and the other is a user.
Yes. Mint also actually creates a root account, it just doesn't set any root password. So if you want to be able to sign in as root, or use su (without sudo) you need to either "sudo passwd root" or "sudo su", then passwd. On a recent debian install though, I found they didn't add my user to the sudo group by default. So if you wanted to use sudo like on mint, you had to sign in as root (or su root), and then do "adduser youruser sudo".
steveo314
Level 2
Level 2

Post by steveo314 »

Use LMDE4 until your hard drive locks up or your motherboard burns up
debian or bust
ne0h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ne0h »

steveo314 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:28 pm
Use LMDE4 until your hard drive locks up or your motherboard burns up
LMDE4 is supported until LMDE5 is released.
LMDE4 desktop and LM20.3 notebook
i7+32Giga Ram+ 1050ti + 2tera SSD