first time installing LMDE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nw53

first time installing LMDE

Post by nw53 »

I try to do a clean install of LMDE-3 only, (a bear drive no other OS install) I try three times and fail. I can not get the partitions right. LMDE do not gave the option to use the hole drive and then make the partitions for me like LM 19. What am I doing wrong? I install LM 19 back on with no problems.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: first time installing LMDE

Post by kukamuumuka »

You need to prepare partitions and mount points using "debian way". An example video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-AlZuShizE
stargazerpjs

Post by stargazerpjs »

Decided to change to LMDE and Had the same problem last night, I used both GParted and Disks multiple times no matter what i did LMDE would not use the partitions , After a nights sleep this what worked for me this morning when i tried again. i installed mint 19 XCFE and let mint 19 do all the clean install and auto setting up partitions, I then installed clean install of LMDE but using the Mint 19 partitions and install went like a dream.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Maybe try Calamares installer? It's available in the menu.
cbrace
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cbrace »

Just wondering: what are the mount points that need to be created manually?
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

cbrace wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:49 pm Just wondering: what are the mount points that need to be created manually?
I would think "/" and "swap" should be enough. But when I installed LMDE 3 on my old desktop, I did "/", "swap", and "/home".
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
cbrace
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cbrace »

Thanks for the info. I know the default install puts / and /home on the same partition, but I think it makes a lot of sense to keep /home on its own partition. Makes doing a fresh install of the OS so much easier.

Return to “Beginner Questions”