LMDE to LMDE2

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
itshowesy
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE to LMDE2

Post by itshowesy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:26 am

Hello, Please could someone advise and apologies if this sounds dumb. I am looking to update my LMDE installation to LMDE3. I wasn't sure what version I was on assumed it was the most upto date as update manager tells me system upto date. So I commenced the LMDE3 instructions and mintupgrade check tells me: ERROR: Your version of Linux Mint is 'Debian'. Only LMDE 2 'Betsy' can be upgraded to LMDE 3 'Cindy'.
So i checked with lsb-release -a and this reports Linux Mint Debian Edition, release 1, Debian. My kernel is 3.16.0.6 -amd64

So it looks like I am running LMDE and I need to update to LMDE2 first. Please could someone advise what I need to do to update to LMDE2. Many thanks for your help, much appreciated.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Re: LMDE to LMDE2

Post by catweazel » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:51 am

itshowesy wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:26 am
Hello, Please could someone advise and apologies if this sounds dumb. I am looking to update my LMDE installation to LMDE3. I wasn't sure what version I was on assumed it was the most upto date as update manager tells me system upto date. So I commenced the LMDE3 instructions and mintupgrade check tells me: ERROR: Your version of Linux Mint is 'Debian'. Only LMDE 2 'Betsy' can be upgraded to LMDE 3 'Cindy'.
So i checked with lsb-release -a and this reports Linux Mint Debian Edition, release 1, Debian. My kernel is 3.16.0.6 -amd64

So it looks like I am running LMDE and I need to update to LMDE2 first. Please could someone advise what I need to do to update to LMDE2. Many thanks for your help, much appreciated.
The easiest way to get to LMDE3 might be to backup your entire /home directory, along with hidden files, then clean install. All the better if you have a separate /home partition as you won't need to format it and restore it, just mark it to be mounted as /home in the installer.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

itshowesy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE to LMDE2

Post by itshowesy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi, Many thanks for the suggestion. I decided that having to re-install LMDE3 from scratch and copying over my home directory I may as well do the same thing and move to Debian, so thats what i have done... now running Debian 9.5 and xfce, copied the home directory, a few minor tweaks and all running very well. No problems with any apps or printers. :) Shame LMDE3 upgrade wouldn't work out as I had been with Mint for over 12 years. Hey Ho...

Return to “Newbie Questions”