Multi-arch installer for LMDE?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
saljut7
Level 2
Level 2

Multi-arch installer for LMDE?

Post by saljut7 »

Hi,

I wanted to install Linux Mint on an Asus Transformer T100 (so the "nice" situation to have a 32bit bootloader and a 64bit CPU). I didn't get it running with Linux Mint and the people of the Mint forum don't seem to have more ideas.

I tried to boot a multi-arch Debian9 which works fine. I could use "vanilla Debian" but the Notebook is for a friend with no Linux experience so the Mint look&feel would be much better.

So my question: Is there a multi-arch installer for LMDE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
All parts of this post composed (not quoted) by myself are declassified for further usage under CC-BY-SA.
MintBean

Re: Multi-arch installer for LMDE?

Post by MintBean »

I would go with the standard Ubuntu Mint - even more newbie friendly.
saljut7
Level 2
Level 2

Post by saljut7 »

MintBean wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:38 pm I would go with the standard Ubuntu Mint - even more newbie friendly.
As I explained I tried this but it is not possible to install the current Ubuntu/Mint on an ASUS Transformer T100 because of the 32bit bootloader/64bit CPU problem (compare viewtopic.php?f=90&t=276353&p=1520164#p1520164 ).
All parts of this post composed (not quoted) by myself are declassified for further usage under CC-BY-SA.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

My bad. There's only one installer for LMDE - it's an experimental project and only comes in one flavour.
Nuts2u
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nuts2u »

Actually there are 2 installers available in LMDE 3 On the LiveCD the icon on the desktop is the simple installer. The other on is the Calamares installer which is much more robust. It is the one I use to install LMDE3 onto a BTFS system. Goto to the menu and start typing Calamares, it will pop up in the menu, then click on it and follow the prompts.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. Welcome to Hell. Here's your copy of Windows.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Looking at Calamares code here, I see it indeed might support 32-bit UEFI (with files like grubia32.efi and bootia32.efi).
ChrisMW
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ChrisMW »

If that doesn't work, you might want to attempt my route, which I used on the LMDE 3 beta. I need a 64Bit UEFI + 64bit OS. I couldn't get the installer to give me a booting system. But you mentioned Debian works, and so it did for me. So what I did was to install Debian 9/Stretch/stable MATE and then convert it to LMDE 3. This was easy, as I had a virtual LMDE 3 installation. I booted Debian, loaded VirtualBox and booted the LMDE 3 VM as well. I then copied the repositories info, created a list of installed packages and got to work. I copied the apt config, the repo info and simply started to install everything on the list.

The result is perfectly working system that went from Beta to normal without any fuss. I've added the stretch-backports, and took a newer libreoffice, kernel and MATE desktop environment from there. Both Cinnamon and MATE work. The only niggle I have is that MATE starts Nemo and not Caja. Caja works well for me, so I might get around to fixing that at some point. But that is what a regular LMDE 3 installation does set up. Today I installed LMDE 3 on an aging X61, that was running LMDE 2. I did a clean install, personally I find it easier.

I was running Debian Buster/10/testing before that, but as I couldn't get the DisplayLink driver to work, I wanted to try Stretch/9/stable. And LMDE 3 gives you a newer Cinnamon, the backports give you a newer kernel and newer MATE. And let's face it, LMDE 3 simply is much more polished and usable than Debian 9 is, out of the box. My laptop can now drive the DisplayLink adapter without any issues. So having left LMDE 2 because it was getting too old, moving to Debian 10, I've returned to LMDE 3 and am very happy with the end result. The only issue was the initial install, which I worked around by converting Debian to LMDE 3. Which is more doable than you might think. I noticed that the Debian Stretch repo is listed as the base repo, and cindy is listed as the main. It is much closer to Debian than LMDE 2 was, and IMO this is a very good thing.

Return to “Beginner Questions”