How many kernels should I have?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

How many kernels should I have?

Post by axisofevil »

I upgraded from LMDE2 -> LMDE3 and both my existing kernels were removed & replaced with a single 4.9.0-8-amd64 kernel.

Since I'd really like to maintain 2+ bootable kernels is there a safe way to install an additional bootable kernel?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: How many kernels should I have?

Post by kukamuumuka »

If you have space, no problems with multible Kernels. Only thing can be that when updating, there can be initrd.img creations with every Kernel (which takes time).
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

Both my existing 3.16 kernels were removed on the upgrade and replaced with a 4.9 kernel.
So I've only got one.

Presumably, if I wait an unknown number of months I'll get a new kernel and hopefully it will do this without deleting my existing kernel.
Why did the upgrade go and delete my old kernels though?
I could have done that manually - if I had wanted to - I normally keep the last two kernels (just in case).
[Sorry - I didn't realise I started this thread some time ago]
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I think they could've been removed if you've followed the "D8. Delete foreign packages" section of the upgrade tutorial.

Return to “Beginner Questions”