[SOLVED] Nemo sidebar "Places"?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Nemo sidebar "Places"?

Post by Fuzzy »

I am new to Cinnamon, and notice that when I open Nemo (file browser) it lists "My Computer" "Bookmarks" "Devices" and "Network" in the "Places" sidebar.

However, I have been unable to rearrange them. (For instance, I'd like "Bookmarks" to appear above "My Computer" instead of below it)...is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
Fuzzy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Nemo sidebar "Places"?

Post by AZgl1800 »

go to Software Manager and install "menu editor" Menulibre is what it is called

I just did that to see if it works.

umm, it didn't stick, it shows it is moved, but it didn't save for some reason.

and the sub-menus are sort by Alphabet....., and you can't change that.

seems we can hide something from the menu, why I would want to do that, I don't know.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

You can't rearrange the sections, but you can drag individual items around the places sidebar to arrange them as you like including from the My Computer section to the Bookmarks section and vice-versa. The only items that can't be moved are Home, Desktop, File-System, Recent, and Trash/Rubbish Bin.

You can also set the order of the draggable bookmarks, but not whether they are in My Computer or Bookmarks section by changing the order of them in the config file ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fuzzy »

Thank you both for the quick responses!

I think that simply dragging some of the links from My Computer down into the Bookmarks section will roughly accomplish what I wanted.

One other question...I notice that when I disconnect a device (eject a USB hard drive mount, etc), that "Places" scrolls all the way back to the top, and I must scroll all the way back down in order to eject the next mount. This gets old pretty fast if the hard drive has several auto-mount points. Is there a way to modify this action so that "Places" actually stays in the same place so that no scrolling is necessary?

Thanks,
Fuzzy
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Fuzzy wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:46 am

One other question...I notice that when I disconnect a device (eject a USB hard drive mount, etc), that "Places" scrolls all the way back to the top, and I must scroll all the way back down in order to eject the next mount. This gets old pretty fast if the hard drive has several auto-mount points. Is there a way to modify this action so that "Places" actually stays in the same place so that no scrolling is necessary?

Thanks,
Fuzzy
it going to continue to get older, and older, sigh!
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fuzzy »

it going to continue to get older, and older, sigh!
That's what I feared. ;^)>>>

Thanks for the response.

Thanks to everyone for the insight and help. I'll go ahead and mark this issue as "SOLVED".

Fuzzy
Zenith

Re: [SOLVED] Nemo sidebar "Places"?

Post by Zenith »

For anyone that's still looking for a way to properly sort the Nemo sidebar, I've come up with a relatively simple workaround. Normally the Home, Desktop, File-System, Recent, and Trash can't be moved into the Bookmarks tab. The workaround is as follows
1. Create a dummy folder and bookmark it.
2. Go into the Edit Bookmarks menu.
3. Drag the Home bookmark (or whichever one you want in the Bookmarks tab) beneath the dummy folder.
4. In the My Computer tab, delete the dummy folder shortcut.
Using this, you can move every folder you'd like into the Bookmarks tab, and then organize them however you see fit. I have absolutely no idea why this works the way it does. I was seemingly unable to simply drag the "unmovable" bookmarks from My Computer into Bookmarks normally, but using this trick worked. Enjoy!

Return to “Beginner Questions”