LMDE3 change window manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

LMDE3 change window manager

Post by 84938493 »

How to change window manager? Im visually impared and cant find this and zoom dosent seem to work after installation... i installed compizconfig-settings-manager hoping to use it instead.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Re: LMDE3 change window manager

Post by ajgreeny »

I have removed cinnamon and added xfce4 to my LMDE3 installation, quite easy to do using synaptic package manager.
Using Xfce4 as the DE with xfwm as window-manager gives you an option of holding the left Alt key and scrolling with mouse or touchpad to zoom in/out.

I have no idea if you could add xfwm to a cinnamon DE and then use that with terminal command

Code: Select all

replace --xfwm
as you could with compiz vs. metacity when using those. Perhaps worth a try?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: LMDE3 change window manager

Post by trytip »

without too much trouble your best solution first is to open cinnamon settings > Font Selection > Text scaling factor then click the + slowly from 1.0 to 1.2 then logoff and try that. if it needs to be increased try 1.3 and so on.
not everything will be zoomed but it's a start. for chrome-browser there's also scaling factor this is a bit more typing. click the in the menu search for menu editor open it click the triangle next to Internet to expand and select Google Chrome and copy this in the Command entry box

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --high-dpi-support=1 --force-device-scale-factor=1.3 %U
the factor can start at 1.01 and can go much higher. 2 may be too much try 1.3 or something close to that increment

Return to “Beginner Questions”