After upgrading from LMDE2 to LMDE3 (both 64bit) bash does not work and can not be started (CTRL-t)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
runs_on_espresso

After upgrading from LMDE2 to LMDE3 (both 64bit) bash does not work and can not be started (CTRL-t)

Post by runs_on_espresso »

Hey folks,

I upgraded LMDE2 to LMDE3 and the migration worked fine.
After the reboot I wanted to open a bash (CTRL-T) but nothing happened.
I opened the start menu and klickt on the bash button: nothing happend.

The only way to get to the bash is the ttyX (CTRL-ALT-Fx).
But I want to use the bash within Cinnamon.

What I tried so far:
dpkg --configure bash
and got the following result
error processing package bash
package bash iis installed and configured
Errors were encountered while processing
bash

Also tried.

sudo apt-get install && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get --reinstall install bash
sudo apt-get install -f

Since I am using bash in tty I am not able to remove and install bash from scratch.

Do you have any ideas how to solve this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: After upgrading from LMDE2 to LMDE3 (both 64bit) bash does not work and can not be started (CTRL-t)

Post by smurphos »

I doubt very much that your problem is with the bash shell per-se but rather with the terminal emulator app that can use bash as the command interpreter.

The default terminal emulator in LMDE Cinnamon should be gnome-terminal. I'd suggest as a starting point using Synaptic to purge and reinstall it and see if that fixes the issue.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10

Re: After upgrading from LMDE2 to LMDE3 (both 64bit) bash does not work and can not be started (CTRL-t)

Post by gm10 »

runs_on_espresso wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:02 pm After the reboot I wanted to open a bash (CTRL-T) but nothing happened.
The default keybind is Ctrl+Alt+t. If you are using a custom keybind, you may have to update the command it points to. The same goes for your menu entry - there is no "bash" menu entry by default.

You can also run commands via Alt+F2 by the way.

Return to “Beginner Questions”