iMac 4.1 installation of lmde Cindy boot issue

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dis0wned

iMac 4.1 installation of lmde Cindy boot issue

Post by Dis0wned »

Good morning all, I just finished installing LMDE Cindy on my old iMac. During the install, I deleted the existing Mac partition and gave Mint the entire disk. After install, the iMac booted to a file folder with a question mark flashing. I went through the install 3 times, I tried manually partitioning and installing with the same outcome. It appears that either the boot path is not being written to the mbr or the iMac is ignoring it. Either way, does anyone know of a solution to this issue?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
webwrx

Re: iMac 4.1 installation of lmde Cindy boot issue

Post by webwrx »

Dis0wned wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:28 am Good morning all, I just finished installing LMDE Cindy on my old iMac. During the install, I deleted the existing Mac partition and gave Mint the entire disk. After install, the iMac booted to a file folder with a question mark flashing. I went through the install 3 times, I tried manually partitioning and installing with the same outcome. It appears that either the boot path is not being written to the mbr or the iMac is ignoring it. Either way, does anyone know of a solution to this issue?
This is a few days old now. Have you had anymore progress?

I'm definitely not an expert but I've had a little experience installing Linux on Macs.

Make sure you have a small FAT32 partition (about 500MB) at the start of your drive e.g. /dev/sda1 and it's mounted as an EFI boot partition (/boot/efi) which you should be able to set when you're doing the manual partitioning during setup. Here are some (outdated) instructions I used (years ago!) when converting an old iMac over to Ubuntu. Most of it should be still relevant https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro11-1/Saucy

In step 5 you'll probably find newer distros already have efibootmgr included you can probably skip the install efibootmgr ... but then run the efibootmgr to see what your system is trying to do. There's a bit of info on using efibootmgr here https://www.linuxbabe.com/command-line/ ... r-examples (although these instructions are for quite a complicated system -- in my experience I only usually see 2 or 3 entires in the boot order).

I hope this gets you started !!

Cheers,
Ben

Return to “Beginner Questions”