Switch MATE to Cinnamon; then upgrade to LMDE3? **SUCCESS**

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pgreat

Switch MATE to Cinnamon; then upgrade to LMDE3? **SUCCESS**

Post by pgreat »

I am running LMDE2 with MATE DE, wondering if I can install Cinnamon DE, remove MATE DE and then be able to upgrade from LMDE2 to LMDE3?
has anyone done that?

UPDATE: I followed Clem's advise here < https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3635#comment-145312 >
and with a couple of hiccups was able to drive through the upgrade. Had to remove [ gnome_media ]
and also [ vlc ] . Also had to perform in steps, using [ mintupgrade ] to just perform checks and then
update sources file. Once that was done I manually ran "sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade -yd"
to fetch local copies of all the packages ( 1500+ qty ) . Finally ran "sudo apt dist-upgrade -y" and
it took about 30-45min total to process all the changes. There were a few failures with [ Mono ] packages,
but rest of the upgrade appeared normal. I re-ran the "sudo apt dist-upgrade -y" command a 2nd time
and it cleanly processed rest of [ Mono ] packages. Gnome-terminal would not launch, did some searching
and found suggestion to manually refresh Locale settings. Logoff and re-login then terminal worked fine.

Save me HUGE amount of rework, as I have full disk encryption with LUKS and dm_crypt .. upgrade now
sits cleanly on previously defined partitions with encryption active just as before.

Thanks for the pointers!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Switch MATE to Cinnamon; then upgrade to LMDE3?

Post by Monsta »

Should be possible with some manual work: viewtopic.php?f=247&t=279002#p1535388
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Always advisable to back up before doing this.
Clonezilla works well
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Yes, I think in theory at least, you can do that. As previously mentioned, you might want to back things up before you do that.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Beginner Questions”