Unmounted second hard disk mysteriously remounts

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gfd-in-cpt

Unmounted second hard disk mysteriously remounts

Post by gfd-in-cpt »

I have an Asus G74-Sx laptop with a fresh install of LMDE3. It has 2 hard disks (sda and sdb) installed. System boots properly (sda) and Nemo lets me see and access both hard disks with no issues. I like to keep the second disk (sdb) unmounted unless there is something I need off of it. I did set its mount properties using the Disks utility so that it would not mount automatically at boot. This works. However the disk mounts itself in about 10 minutes or so after boot. Also, if I use Nemo to mount and then unmount the disk, it is remounted 10 or 15 minutes later, automatically. Never seen this before! I only want the disk mounted and accessible when I mount it. Anyone know how to keep it from being remounted? Any help is appreciated?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Unmounted second hard disk mysteriously remounts

Post by axisofevil »

The Disks utility is intended for power saving on laptops and warns that if you spin-down disks, that this is not good for the disk.

However, automounting will occur in the same way as USB's get mounted (and appear on the desktop, if you have that option set).
I had this problem with a partition I designated for timeshift.

If the partitions are in /etc/fstab they will get mounted (provided the disk is spinning), but not appear on the desktop.
Solution:-
A spinning disk, which is not accessed, uses virtually no power.
So start both disks, mounting all partitions.

If the second disk has security considerations, consider mounting it read-only (which means you would have to remount it to write to it),
Also you could control access via permissions set against the chosen mountpoint.

Return to “Beginner Questions”