[SOLVED] Manual read-only mount fails, automount read/write succeeds...what am I doing wrong?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Manual read-only mount fails, automount read/write succeeds...what am I doing wrong?

Post by Fuzzy »

I believe that I have a failure of an ancient RAID card (instead of the drives). It was an old hardware RAID 1, and I simply wanted to create a dd image of one of the drives "just in case."

I attempted to boot the failed system using an LMDE3 liveCD, which worked fine, but I couldn't manually mount the RAID drives/RAID, and when I attempted to double-click one of the drives in COMPUTER, it said that it couldn't mount because it was "busy".

So, (incorrectly) figuring the drive wouldn't automount...I removed the drive from the failed system, and connected it to my LMDE3 machine via USB caddy in order to attempt a manual read-only mount and dd image. To my horror, LMDE3 saw the USB-connected drive and automounted both partitions in read/write mode.

Oh well - I unmounted the partitions, then created my dd image. Now I want to verify my dd image, so I calculated the offset and attempted the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo mount -o ro,loop,offset=32256 /media/UserName/MediaName/BackupImage.dd /mnt/Recovery
Which resulted only in the following:

mount: unknown filesystem type 'adaptec_raid_member'
Since the ship had already sailed, I went ahead and allowed LMDE3 to automount again by double-clicking the partitions via COMPUTER, and then ran

sudo fdisk -l
This resulted in showing the automounted partition as:

/dev/sdc1 on /media/UserName/009CFBA19CFB9000 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks2)
How can I replicate this automount, but manually as read-only?

Thanks,
Fuzzy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Manual read-only mount fails, automount read/write succeeds...what am I doing wrong?

Post by Fuzzy »

I stumbled across the solution...and in retrospect it seems pretty obvious.

Here's what worked: I simply forced the filesystem type.

sudo mount -t ntfs -o ro,loop,offset=32256 /media/UserName/MediaName/BackupImage.dd /mnt/Recovery
Thanks,
Fuzzy

Return to “Beginner Questions”