Encrypting home folder

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Namiix_13

Encrypting home folder

Post by Namiix_13 »

Hey everyone! So I installed LMDE 3 Cindy today but on the installer there was no option to encrypt home folder, like there is when installing mint Ubuntu. So I was just wondering how I should go about doing that. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LesPaltaX

Re: Encrypting home folder

Post by LesPaltaX »

I'm also interested in this! I don't know if it's actually possible, but probably it is
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Encrypting home folder

Post by catweazel »

I note that the OP posted on 8 December and didn't receive a reply. There's probably a good reason for it, which I'll explain.

Setting up encryption isn't for the faint-hearted and can lead to your losing all your treasured stuff if you don't have a backup and aren't 100% sure of what you are doing. My point is twofold, first, that should not need to be said, and second, if it has to be said then you're probably headed for trouble.

If you need to secure data, consider using VeraCrypt while you fully research the ins and outs of encrypting your home directory, and pay special attention to recovering your home directory if the encryption goes belly-up. Better still, experiment on a spare machine and learn that way.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Beginner Questions”