BTRFS and subvolumes

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Katakis

BTRFS and subvolumes

Post by Katakis »

Hi,
I am a new LMDE user who wants to create Timeshift snapshots using the BTRFS system. I have a 4TB LaCie Porsche Design drive which is assigned to /dev/sdb and it will be used as a backup device. I have partitioned the entire disk with BTRFS and was hoping to create the snapshots without hassle. Sadly, when I try to select the external drive as my backup device, it says "Select BTRFS system disk with root subvolume (@)". How do I create these subvolumes? I can see now options in GParted that allow you to do this. Are you supposed to create these during installation?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nuts2u
Level 3
Level 3

Re: BTRFS and subvolumes

Post by Nuts2u »

Timeshift only supports BTRFS snapshots on the mounted volume. BTRFS snapshots are not Backups....They are pointers to existing data on the mounted drive. BTRFS snapshots cannot be moved....
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. Welcome to Hell. Here's your copy of Windows.

Return to “Beginner Questions”