Why is system update manager forcing me to install adobe flash player?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
somenumbaccount

Why is system update manager forcing me to install adobe flash player?

Post by somenumbaccount »

I thought linux was committed to system security, i dont know of a more unsafe software to install. If i try to hide flash player option it just pops back up next time i run update manager. How to i permanent remove flash and prevent it from ever installing again?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Why is system update manager forcing me to install adobe flash player?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, somenumbaccount.

Update Manager offers only software packages for updating, provided an older version is already present on your system.
As Update Manager offers to install Flash 32.0.0.134, this means that currently an older version is installed, hopefully 32.0.0.101.

You may use e.g. Synaptic package manager in order to uninstall Flash.
Inside Synaptic locate the 2 software packages adobe-flash-properties-gtk and adobe-flashplugin.
Right-click them. Select "Mark for removal". Click [Apply]. Confirm.
HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
hcentaur13

Post by hcentaur13 »

Update manager does not get you to install something. It does only update your packages so you gets the most current version of software in tha package list when you which to install a package. When you have installed a package it will not only deliver information about a package but will magically install the newer software by replacing the installed one with the newer one.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i don't have that installed, i took it out and i don't have updates for it. you can do the same if you like.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

karlchen wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:36 am Hello, somenumbaccount.

Update Manager offers only software packages for updating, provided an older version is already present on your system.
As Update Manager offers to install Flash 32.0.0.134, this means that currently an older version is installed, hopefully 32.0.0.101.

You may use e.g. Synaptic package manager in order to uninstall Flash.
Inside Synaptic locate the 2 software packages adobe-flash-properties-gtk and adobe-flashplugin.
Right-click them. Select "Mark for removal". Click [Apply]. Confirm.
HTH,
Karl
Or, it might be flashplugin-installer in some Mint versions (since he didn't specify which version he's on).
redlined

Post by redlined »

if I'm not mistaken, adobe flashplayer is installed when a User chooses to install 3rd party apps during the initial install of Linux Mint (or subsequently installed if not during OS install)

regardless, as others have made clear Update Manager will only update and upgrade packages installed by user other than the OS defaults it also takes care of. Noting Karlchen's response we can also get this done from terminal by enter the command: sudo apt purge adobe-flashplugin adobe-flash-properties-gtk

Do this with browser closed then check if flash is still present in Firefox > Add-ons > Plugins (or other browser of choice plugin location) and that should get rid of the problem.

If you find adobe flash plugin listed in your browser then look for how to remove/reset plugin.dat, or if using Firefox follow this guide for a "refresh" and see if that clears it out for you.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Are you sure that flash is installed?

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections | grep flash
redlined

Post by redlined »

sleeper12 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:32 pm Or, it might be flashplugin-installer in some Mint versions (since he didn't specify which version he's on).
I think flashplugin-installer is a basic package to initiate installing the right version from adobe :?:
also, I do know from other thread(s) OP is engaged in the distro is LMDE3.

ps. sleeper12, seeing you here is giving me 'flashbacks' to the 6pages of flash shenanigans back in November :oops: :lol:
redlined

Post by redlined »

administrollaattori wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:30 pm Are you sure that flash is installed?

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections | grep flash
ahhh yes, the tell all command!
reminds me, I've got libhall-flash to add to purge if OP uses the cmdline version I recommended above :idea:
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

redlined wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:35 pm
sleeper12 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:32 pm Or, it might be flashplugin-installer in some Mint versions (since he didn't specify which version he's on).
I think flashplugin-installer is a basic package to initiate installing the right version from adobe :?:

ps. sleeper12, seeing you here is giving me 'flashbacks' to the 6pages of flash shenanigans back in November :oops: :lol:
All I know is my Mint 18 has flashplugin-installer installed, not adobe-flashplugin.
Yes, I recall the 6 page fiasco. :lol: We were on the right track though. :roll:
redlined

Post by redlined »

sleeper12 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:58 pm
redlined wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:35 pm

All I know is my Mint 18 has flashplugin-installer installed, not adobe-flashplugin.
Yes, I recall the 6 page fiasco. :lol: We were on the right track though. :roll:
yah, and I have no clue what LMDE3 might be tied to, the grep command will get the proper package names to be purged though.

and... fiasco :lol:
(to me it was and will always be fondly remembered as... the best thread ever! :mrgreen:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Moved the thread to the LMDE area, because the OP is apparently using LMDE.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

ok, i was wrong adobe-flashplugin was installed in my mint 19.1 cinnamon/xfce but i careless about updates and if i did receive any i must have overlooked it since i don't use firefox only for testing but either way it's deactivated in addons/plugins. i uninstalled so, if i need this damm plugin i will just download it form the adobe site
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ select the .tar.gz. for Linux and paste libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
if i want to be fancy i will take the usr directory from the .tar.gz and merge it with my own which i did.
"but then i won't get security updates" so it's up to me to figure out what i want to do.

Return to “Beginner Questions”