Wine Questions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Qurcus
Level 3
Level 3

Wine Questions

Post by Qurcus »

I haven't been able to install Wine 1.8 (& previously some other packages) ,using the new package manager, ever since the switch over to the new package manager from the old one on Linux Mint 18, so I've stayed on Mint 18. I'm trying LMDE 3 but can't install Wine from the package manager, even though the package manager says it's installed - it is not installed. I like using the one from the repo's because it is listed in the Menu and that version works with my old video games. I can work around it but I'm getting a error message from Wine on some of the install disks on most of the games. It was saying: " iKernel.exe could not be copied to 'c:\Program Files\CommonFiles\InstallShield\Engine\6\Intel 32'." I found the exact same problem on the Wine Forums from 2006 https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-u ... 23444.html . My Linux Mint 18 Wine install (which was on this computer) worked fine from the repo's. Does anyone know why it's displaying this error ? Everywhere i look on the internet no one was able to answer the question.

I tried all kinds of things to fix this problem (not sure what i did ) but made some progress but now it's saying the CD is not in the drive. The desktop icons from the CD also says it's both a audio disk and game disk at the same time - 2 icons. I'm getting the same 2 icons on my other computer (with Mint 18) that will actually install the games. This is something new that was never present before on Mint 18.

Also too, is there a package missing that would put the Wine stuff in the menu ? I put it in manually but it's not the same and definitely not as easy.

Note: I'm not sure if the Linux Mint team fixed the flashing issues i was having with LMDE3 but the issues went away since the last time i posted on the forum. Thanks if you'all fixed that issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zorzi

Re: Wine Questions

Post by zorzi »

I suggest you to follow Debian tutorial:

https://wiki.debian.org/Wine
3rdtimer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 3rdtimer »

Did you get WINE working in LMDE3 yet? I just loaded a laptop with LMDE 3 (9-Stretch) and used this webpage to load WINE. It worked just fine.

https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 Mbd
AMD FX 4100 Quad-Core x2
32GB DDR3
LMDE 5.6.5 Elsie
5.10.0-20-amd64
Bx00Azalia (Intel HDA) 64 BIT
NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 730]
ChrisMW
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ChrisMW »

As poster zorzi said, follow the Debian instructions, they have worked for me, I have wine running as 32/64bit. Wine 1.8 seems very old, stretch backports has 3, which is much better, in buster you find 4.

I have never had much success installing the dual arch wine any other way on a Debian based distro than following the Debian wiki.

Alternatively, you could try PlayOnLinux, which has quite a good capability of managing multiple wine versions. I do use winetricks and Q4Wine to manage my environment.....
3rdtimer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 3rdtimer »

For what it is worth....I have converted my laptop and desktop computers to LMDE 4 and loaded Irfanview on all of them using Play On Linux (Front End For Wine) from the LMDE 4 Software Manager. It loads Wine and enables you to easily download and install all required dependencies and then installs the latest Irfanview.
Easy,fast and uncomplicated and mostly automatic. Just read and understand their directions and you will be fine. Sure beats trying to follow the directions from the Wine HQ site. :D
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 Mbd
AMD FX 4100 Quad-Core x2
32GB DDR3
LMDE 5.6.5 Elsie
5.10.0-20-amd64
Bx00Azalia (Intel HDA) 64 BIT
NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 730]

Return to “Beginner Questions”