unable to read system logs (or any logs in logs app)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ed_209
Level 1
Level 1

unable to read system logs (or any logs in logs app)

Post by ed_209 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:44 pm

unable to read system logs (in red letters in logs app)
(or any logs in logs app > available categories > Important : All: Applications : System : Security : Hardware
All say No Results with a / inside a O symbol
LMDE3 cinnamon x32 standard install new user to LMDE3 on older HW like Phenom 2 X4
logged in as an admin according users and groups app with my chosen login name from install
someone suggested login as root account from gui login, do not have a root account gui login option if required
Please help worried someone may have hacked my system
TY eD_209

deck_luck
Level 3
Level 3

Re: unable to read system logs (or any logs in logs app)

Post by deck_luck » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:58 pm

The GUI logs program is actually gnome-logs. It uses the systemd journal. You may have a problem with the journal. Are you familiar with the using the command line from a terminal session? If so try using a journalctl command to view some log data as follows:

journalctl -k -b -1

If you get nothing the journal might be malfunctioning. You can verify the journal with the following command:

journalctl --verify
💡Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. ✝️

ed_209
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ed_209 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:10 am

Thanks for responding used to work in unix many years mostly sparc stations but been many years since, but yes am familiar with terminal,
Looks like some file needs chmod or a root account which is not set up. Is this a bug or is it because of Cinnamon desktop but would work under gnome desktop ? TY for your help much appreciated . Tried the commands (below) also under users and groups systmd-journal was not checked so I checked it but nothing changed unless it needs a reboot or logout login again my account had admin privileges >
X~$ journalctl -k -b -1
Hint: You are currently not seeing messages from other users and the system.
Users in the 'systemd-journal' group can see all messages. Pass -q to
turn off this notice.
No journal files were opened due to insufficient permissions.
X$ journalctl --verify
Hint: You are currently not seeing messages from other users and the system.
Users in the 'systemd-journal' group can see all messages. Pass -q to
turn off this notice.
X$ journalctl -q
X$

deck_luck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deck_luck » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:35 am

Well, in the real Debian distro you have a live root account with a working password. The good folks at Linux Mint in line with the Ubuntu base created the Linux Mint Debian (Cindy) distros with a root password-less account. All of the other Linux Mint variant have root password-less accounts. The root password-less account meaning you cannot directly login as root. To gain root privileges the user needs to use sudo or a sudo-like command.

I found my LMDE3 Cinnamon virtual machine and fired it up. During my installs I always have the installer create an administrator as the default account. In Linux Mint the installer created account will be an administrator privileged account. I am able to run the "journalctl -k" and the "gnome-logs" command.

Also, after an installation I create a "standard" user as my primary account. When I try to run journalctl with a standard account it fails like you have experienced. (Search "Users and Groups") I included the standard account in the systemd-journal group, and now it will run the journalctl and gnome-logs commands.
💡Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. ✝️

ed_209
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ed_209 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Hello, deck_luck

Also after checking box systemmd - journal last night & rebooting logs are working today under my admin account.

After trying many distros on distrowatch live USB. Linux Mint debian LMDE3 was best I had tried so far.
With issues you cite and I have directly experienced will probably install standard stable Debian distro on my duel boot computers.
SOLVED
TY, eD

deck_luck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deck_luck » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:58 pm

You should understand LMDE3 was a proof of concept. "Its main goal is for the Linux Mint team to see how viable our distribution would be and how much work would be necessary if Ubuntu was ever to disappear. LMDE aims to be as similar as possible to Linux Mint, but without using Ubuntu. The package base is provided by Debian instead."

I personally use the Linux Mint 19.x XFCE. I want a distro that works "out of the box so to speak" without my efforts to track down solutions to get things working. That is why I chose Linux Mint. I am primarily a laptop user and, I am more concerned about bloated desktop environment wasting CPU cycles and battery power. The Cinnamon desktop environment is a resource pig when compared to XFCE. I would encourage you to give LM19 XFCE a try especially on laptops. Or if you regually run a video rendering software or any other resource intensive application, and you need to get the most of your computer resources for your applications instead of meaningless bloated desktop environment features.
Last edited by deck_luck on Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

axisofevil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by axisofevil » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:54 pm

LMDE works out of the box for me.

Most logs in /var/log can be read with the default text editor (xed) as read-only files by any user, but any editor would do.
A few logs require root authority for access.

Because LMDE is based around Debian, it means that I don't have to put up with Canonical's latest bright idea.

If you try using systemd's idea of a log, you will find it cumbersome and difficult to use.
systemd uses a binary file as a log - hence the difficulties.

ed_209
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ed_209 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:17 pm

Used to live in /var/logs when I worked on IC testers back in the days. Thanks for reminder of its existence,
Reading about peoples disgust with canonical last evening. LMDE3 is pretty decent out of the box.
Will be reading documentation to improve my installation.

Return to “Newbie Questions”