LMDE 2 Betsy Mate 64bits, and then ?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
disc_over
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE 2 Betsy Mate 64bits, and then ?

Post by disc_over » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:27 am

My life with LMDE 2 Betsy Mate 64bits has been a dream. No issue.
Now that LMDE 3 Mate is no more supported, I must take a new direction.

I am a macuser. Linux is installed on an old HP laptop. I mainly use it as a music server with a DAC.
I need something light, stable with a long support.

My questions:

Do I have to:
- Reinstall another Distro from scratch ? If yes, which one ? Ubuntu ?
- Update to LMDE 3 Cinnamon ? If yes, how to ? Tutorial ?
- Do something else ? If yes, what would be your advice ?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to LMDE 3 forum

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: LMDE 2 Betsy Mate 64bits, and then ?

Post by KBD47 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:55 am

ChrisMW
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChrisMW » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:26 am

LMDE 3 works fine, and think you should consider it as a next step. LMDE 3 sits on top of Debian stretch, and the stretch-backports have a MATE version that is at the level of LMDE 2 (or slightly above), so moving there does not impact you in a bad way. The backports also have a newer kernel, LibreOffice and other bits.

I have run LMDE 3 that way for more than 1 yr and it is perfectly stable. Right now, I've swapped stretch for buster, so I'm in unsupported territory and if you're on LMDE 2 is probably not something you'd want/need.

As to other options, I've been running an Ubuntu (I think 18.4 or 19.4) with MATE in a virtual machine and it has already done what Ubuntu always does with me, just like windows, without fiddling with it, just updating, I now am getting errors, I get no other info, just 'something went wrong, report or ignore' which I ignore and it seems to all work. So I do not recommend that. You could plump for Debian, but you'd need to fix a few things before it gets to the comfort level of LMDE. Another is MX, also an option, but I've had it running into problems when I went for the latest Citrix receiver. The only distro that keeps running with all that I throw at it, is LMDE.

So my suggestion would be to give LMDE 3 a go, add the backports and I'm almost certain you will like the result.

Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dot_mdb » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:38 pm

There is Ubuntu Mate, the official flavor of Ubuntu. This is not the standard Ubuntu with the Mate desktop added. This is the site:

https://ubuntu-mate.org/

This distro has about 6 different work flow arrangements for the desktop and has one that kind of copies the Mac theme. I've been running Ubuntu Mate on a test machine for a while now and it is stable for me. I like it. It is not quite as polished as Mint but it is one of only a few distros that gives me good vibes like Mint.

MX-Linux was suggested but that has the Xfce desktop out of the box. It is a good distro and really excellent for some special purposes but for general use I would go with Ubuntu Mate over MX.

Onabi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Onabi » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:05 am

To your questions:
Updating LMDE2 Mate to LMDE3 is technically possible, but I would not recommend it, because it will cause various problems to be manually solved and it's not the official way like the Update from LMDE2 Cinnamon. I've done it, but had some hours troubleshooting with it. So a clean install with reinstalling all custom things would probably have taken the same time.
For long-term support I would recommend Mint 19.2 more than LMDE, unfortunately.

Return to “Newbie Questions”