LMDE based on Debian 10 Buster

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sagsaw
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE based on Debian 10 Buster

Post by sagsaw »

When will LMDE release version based on Debian Buster 10.2 which is latest debian release?
JoeFootball
Level 10
Level 10

Re: LMDE based on Debian 10 Buster

Post by JoeFootball »

sagsaw wrote: When will LMDE release version based on Debian Buster 10.2 which is latest debian release?
I don't believe that was announced yet.

Joe
sagsaw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sagsaw »

So then what is LMDE3 based on currently???

Wouldnt it be nice that LMDE based on Buster comes in?

Especially since Buster will now be supported for 5 years as per this press release ..

https://www.debian.org/News/2019/20190706
ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ajgreeny »

LMDE3 is based on Debian Stretch, ie, Debian 9, not Debian 10.

I have been running LMDE3 as a virtual install now for about a year, but using the Xfce4 DE, not cinnamon which is too resource hungry for VirtualBox, and as you can see from the thread I started at viewtopic.php?f=251&t=285255 about this, I have yesterday upgraded the repos manually to buster, Debian 10, and at the moment it is working OK.

This is most definitely not a recommendation, merely an experiment for me alone to see what happens, but in a virtual install I could easily create a snapshot before upgrade so I can boot to the snapshot and be back where I started.

I have no idea whether or not this would work with the cinnamon DE so if you try it it has to be at your own risk.
JoeFootball
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JoeFootball »

sagsaw wrote: Wouldnt it be nice that LMDE based on Buster comes in?
Yes, I suspect that when LMDE 4 is released, it will be based on Debian 10.x.

Joe
axisofevil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by axisofevil »

A partial upgrade of LMDE3 using Buster is available viewtopic.php?f=251&t=297818&start=60#p1714461

Strictly a test version of LMDE - but it works...
sagsaw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sagsaw »

Thanks.

I am looking for LMDE with Mate and Debian 10.2

Guess will have to wait ...

Yes can do partial upgrade etc. but will prefer to wait ...

The reason is that it will be a 5 year LTS as the underlying Debian 10.2 buster will be supported for 5 years and so will want to load it onto one of my daily use machines and see how it goes for 5 years and maybe help ironing out any issues that crop up by at least actively testing and reporting if not fixing.
JoeFootball
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JoeFootball »

sagsaw wrote: The reason is that it will be a 5 year LTS as the underlying Debian 10.2 buster will be supported for 5 years ...
Know that Debian 9.x is also a five-year LTS release, so you still have quite a good amount of support left on LMDE 3 in the meantime. :)

Joe
sagsaw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sagsaw »

True ... But 4.19 Kernel is the attraction along with updated softwares from Stable.

Want to be TRUE to LTS STABLE theory in practice.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Debian 10, in my experience, is slightly less "stable" than Debian 9. Running numerous machines with both versions, I have found I have to revert back to a Debian 9 machine to fix an issue. One example: Gourmet Recipe Manager will print normally in Debian 9, but must export to HTML first in Debian 10 to print.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
NuBz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NuBz »

sagsaw wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:22 am
True ... But 4.19 Kernel is the attraction along with updated softwares from Stable.

Want to be TRUE to LTS STABLE theory in practice.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TAKE MY ADVICE WITHOUT RESEARCHING FIRST.
Seriously one could end up with a borked machine with a lot of important data down the tubes.

So install that kernel and switch the repo like it talks about in the linked thread nothing is really stopping you.
Or just forget the repo all togehter except for base system and security stuff and learn how to build things from source(which is actually really simple as long as you make sure to have all the dependencies).
Just make sure to keep the old one for a backup for now.

Don't play into the "don't do this don't do that" garbage.
Just be sure to research things and MAKE BACKUPS of personal files FIRST.
This is Linux not Windows and such things are exacty what Linus intends for one to do.

Although you could break things that is always a risk but experimenting should not be looked down upon and scare people into never trying anything with Linux.
Trying things and breaking stuff is half the fun of learning what not to do.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

LMDE4 beta ISO's are in the wild so the announcement will be shortly.

<removed link; please don't do this as it will take longer for all the download mirrors to sync if we all hog the main mirror now>
Last edited by xenopeek on Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
JoeFootball
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JoeFootball »

Return to “Newbie Questions”