LMDE 4 Kernels

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LanceM

LMDE 4 Kernels

Post by LanceM »

It's my understanding that the update manager doesn't do kernel updates to the 5.x kernels. Is this correct?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Murdock2525
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE 4 Kernels

Post by Murdock2525 »

LanceM wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:53 pm It's my understanding that the update manager does't do kernel updates to the 5.x kernels. Is this correct?
No problem here....
Screenshot from 2020-03-05 20-17-27.png
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Murdock2525 Did that come through the update manager without any tweaks? If so when? That's all I need to know. Thanks!
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

No problem here....
Still wondering if this is LMD4 Beta and if it came through the updater without any special tweaks?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Murdock2625 is running a custom third party kernel from an additional repo - https://liquorix.net/#install

LMDE4 is based on Debian Buster so only ships the 4.19 kernel LTS kernel out of the box. You can enable the buster-backports offical repo to get at time of writing an offical debian kernel 5.4...

https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/
https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... 10-stable/
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

smurphos wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:46 pm Murdock2625 is running a custom third party kernel from an additional repo - https://liquorix.net/#install

LMDE4 is based on Debian Buster so only ships the 4.19 kernel LTS kernel out of the box. You can enable the buster-backports offical repo to get at time of writing an offical debian kernel 5.4...

https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/
https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... 10-stable/
Thanks! I'll check it out. Looks like the link https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... 10-stable/ might be the most desirable. I can't get the graphics on this AMD 3400G to work and have read a higher kernel will do it. So far, the installer only boots in CMS mode. Oddly LMDE 3 boots to the installer in UEFI mode (compatibility mode). So for LMDE 4 I'm waiting until LMDF 4 comes out of Beta. I filed a bug report hoping they will add Picasso drivers.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

BTW, in LMDE 4 the backports are already enabled.
phil995511
Level 4
Level 4

Post by phil995511 »

LanceM wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:53 pm It's my understanding that the update manager does't do kernel updates to the 5.x kernels. Is this correct?
Monsta wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:06 am BTW, in LMDE 4 the backports are already enabled.
Backports are all ready enabled on LMDE4, for optain a update of your kernel make :

apt update && apt install -t buster-backports linux-image-amd64 -y && apt install -t buster-backports linux-headers-amd64 -y && apt install -t buster-backports firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree -y && reboot
Debian 12 Bookworm 64-bit Cinnamon (main system) in dual-boot with Windows 11 64-bit (for maximum hardware and software compatibility)
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

phil995511 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:39 am
Monsta wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:06 am BTW, in LMDE 4 the backports are already enabled.
Backports are all ready enabled on LMDE4, for optain a update of your kernel make :

apt update && apt install -t buster-backports linux-image-amd64 -y && apt install -t buster-backports linux-headers-amd64 -y && apt install -t buster-backports firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree -y && reboot
Thanks, I'll be trying this. My problem right now is II can't get the installer to boot to my new AMD Ryzen 3400G build. Compatibility mode, or nomodeset doesn't help. I'm hoping when the full LMDE 4 is released, this will be enabled.
phil995511
Level 4
Level 4

Post by phil995511 »

LanceM wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:10 am
phil995511 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:39 am

Thanks, I'll be trying this. My problem right now is II can't get the installer to boot to my new AMD Ryzen 3400G build. Compatibility mode, or nomodeset doesn't help. I'm hoping when the full LMDE 4 is released, this will be enabled.
The kernel provided in LMDE 4 finale will be in version 4.19 without the possibility of booting a 5.4 version kernel at the installation.

A workaround would be:

Extract your hard drive / ssd from your machine. Then integrate it on a PC on which LMDE4 live works without problems. Then you install LMDE 4 + the kernel update as I recommended it on this hard drive / ssd. Then you reintegrate your hard drive / ssd in your mamchine based on AMD Ryzen 3400G, and it should boot normally as you wish from there.

Once this is done use TimeShift to make a backup and avoid future complications...

Regards.
Debian 12 Bookworm 64-bit Cinnamon (main system) in dual-boot with Windows 11 64-bit (for maximum hardware and software compatibility)
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Code: Select all

Thanks! It worked perfectly. I removed the SSD from the Intel i5-8500 and put it in the 3400G machine after getting the 5.4 kernel. Presto! Picasso drivers installed and working perfectly. Much appreciated!
maxime

Post by maxime »

Hi! This is my first time in Linux desktop world, and I choosed LMDE 4. Currently I installed and I'm running LMDE 4 on a USB3 SSD (with bootloader on the same drive). I realized that LMDE 4 uses 4.19.0-8amd64 Kernel and I would like to know if a Kernel upgrade is (always) raccomended.
If I understand correctly, I could upgrade to kernel 5.X using these:
Is it correct? Which is the boot problem you are talking about? Does It affect only Ryzen CPU? I'm on a Intel I7 3770K CPU...
I suppose I should make a backup before upgrade, correct?

Thanks a lot for you support!
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

My opinion, is to leave it as it is unless something isn't working. That's the beauty of LMDE 4. In my case with the AMD Ryzen, it was essential to go with the newer kernel, but on my Intel laptop, I didn't need it. It works just fine. Simpler.
ChrisMW
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ChrisMW »

I ran into issues with the latest VirtualBox and 4.19, a search revealed that moving to a 5 kernel would do it. If LMDE already has the backports it cannot be easier. From Synaptic, look for linux-headers and find the 5.04 ones, same for the kernel, look for linux-image and get the right version. It should auto select the kbuild as well. Once you have it installed, the updater will update it for you, but first install is yours to do.

I normally keep 2 kernels, one I know to work, and 1 that is the latest. I have had, in the past, one or two versions that suddenly wouldn't boot (or needed some arguments), so having the old one will let me boot into the desktop and fix things.

HtH's
JKMooney
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JKMooney »

This Tutorial (which appears to pull from the Debian Wiki) is nice as well because it breaks it down into steps.

https://www.unixtutorial.org/upgrading- ... ux-kernel/
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

The Mint updater supports kernel upgrades if you install the kernel/headers via the respective meta packages i.e. 'linux-image-amd6' / 'linux-headers-amd64'.
The updater then even suggest to remove older installed kernels.
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vishgaur »

LanceM wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:25 pm So for LMDE 4 I'm waiting until LMDF 4 comes out of Beta.
So far working fine.
But I'm using just the basic productivity functions

LMDE lacking updatemanager>View>Linux Kernels is a pain to see though
It has 4.19 enabled out of the box and I don't wish to enable backports rn. I am now hesitant of making any changes that are called "workaround" at the moment.
Since 2003 on computers, since 2014 on Linux.

Blog: https://www.inksup.wordpress.com
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

Hello
I use another way to install new kernels which has never deceived me. It may be less academical but it works.
1) Here, you may found a list of directories containing usable kernels :
https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/?C=N;O=D
2) Choose the kernel version you want (My advice is not to choose a too recent one, unless it's for testing)
3) The succeeded builds are followed by 7 .deb files. In case of doubt, choose the amd64 version.
4) Download the 4 .deb files you need (the low-latency files can be ignored - there are for special multimedia use). You should get 3 'generic' files and one 'all' file.'
5) isolate them in a directory (call it NewKernel or anything you want)
6) Open this directory in the terminal
7) Type or Paste :

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
8) Upgrade grub :

sudo update-grub2
9. Reboot
10. Done !

You may check your kernel version with uname -a or inxi -S after reboot.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)

Return to “Beginner Questions”