ntfs-3g need read/write on ntfs partition SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

ntfs-3g need read/write on ntfs partition SOLVED

Post by mike acker »

I have an NTFS partition in my LMDE4 box that I like to share with my Win/10 system

although the partition mounts OK -- and I can read files on it -- the create files or write files is disabled.

this is probably an ownership/permissions issue -- but I need help to analyze and correct it --
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
WharfRat

Re: ntfs-3g need read/write on ntfs partition

Post by WharfRat »

You need to include the the uid=1000 and gid=1000 mount options :wink:
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

mike acker wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:59 pm although the partition mounts OK -- and I can read files on it -- the create files or write files is disabled.
Where are you mounting it and how? If with File Manager, this shouldn't be an issue.

If at boot, you could do as WharfRat suggests. Or use chown to take ownership of the mount point.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

I mount it using file manager

it mounts OK and all the permissions look good but: it's read only.

I may have ( quite likely ) brought this on myself: this disc was an LMDE3 system that I upgraded to LMDE4. I kept the same user ID and all of the files under /home are working right. But, something I did or didn't do during the install probably wasn't just right

the partition mounts under /media

there are two partitions that mount there: the other one is /root -- I think maybe the GRUB installer may have added that. I wonder if that might have changed ownership of the mount point -- as mentioned above

I can dismount both partitions and then check the /media directory to check the owner -- it might be the LMDE9 system that also has a disc running in this box.

this is just the ResearchBox so maybe I'll disconnect everything except the new LMDE4 disc and re-run the install,.....
correction: GRUB offers "advanced option for lmde4

more info: mount point:

Code: Select all

mike@lmde4research:/media$ ls -l
total 8
drwxr-x---+ 3 root root 4096 Apr 24 16:13 mike
drwxr-x---+ 2 root root 4096 Apr 24 14:08 root
what's that extra 'root' there for ....?

let's mount the partition, using file manager and then check the mounted partition:

mike@lmde4research:/media$ cd mike
mike@lmde4research:/media/mike$ ls -l
total 4
drwxrwxrwx 1 mike mike 4096 Apr  9 18:51 ntfs_workspace
it looks like the owner was properly assigned; alas, it ends up as read only although all the permissions look ok in file manager

Right now I think I'll just re-load this thing in the morning.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

a Clue !!

when I tried a chown on the target partition ( not the mount point ) Linux told me that the target is a read-only file system.

so, that, apparently is the actual issue. I wonder what the Rx for this is.....
¡Viva la Resistencia!
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

mike acker wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:55 pmI mount it using file manager
Then it should mount at /media/mike with full read-write. FYI, NTFS doesn't even have permissions. Those are assigned on the fly by Linux, based on who is doing the mounting and where.
what's that extra 'root' there for ....?
The first one is owner, the second is group. Try this:

sudo mkdir /media/ntfs
sudo chown -R mike:mike /media/ntfs
sudo mount /dev/sdxn /media/ntfs
Replace sdxn to match ID per lsblk. Now open File Manager and see whether you're still restricted.
Right now I think I'll just re-load this thing in the morning.
Probably not necessary, but I'm not a fan up upgrade-in-place, so not gonna try hard to talk you out of reinstall.
when I tried a chown on the target partition ( not the mount point ) Linux told me that the target is a read-only file system.
That reminds me, make sure you have unmounted the partition everywhere else before trying the test suggested above.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Or use the debug mount option sudo ntfs-3g -o debug /dev/sd?? /mnt which will provide some additional information when mounting.

Change /dev/sd?? to your device designation.

Also as pbear alluded to make sure it's not mounted somewhere else before attempting to mount it,
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

thanks for all the prompt help !!

I did a re-install and that seems to have fixed the issue. I'm thinking the Windows-10 system may have left the partition in a defect state.

That seems odd though: The W-10 system did object to using the partition -- although it did want to do a "repair" The Debian-9 system didn't object either; only the LMDE4

I'll keep these notes handy though in case this problem crops up again,..... it might: I've not put my finger on the cause...
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Re: ntfs-3g need read/write on ntfs partition SOLVED

Post by mike acker »

SOLVED

I had to open the Windows-10 system and grant everyone full control to that disc

Added note:
I suspect this problem was brought on by MSFT/W-10 April 2020 maintenance. It appears to me that the MSFT/W-10 arrogated to itself ownership of the NTFS shared partition and decided to make it a "read only file system". W-10 shouldn't even mount the partition without permission let alone change the properties on it without consulting the owner.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Sporax
Level 1
Level 1

Re: ntfs-3g need read/write on ntfs partition SOLVED

Post by Sporax »

I did it little bit easer and different

1) Mounted NTFS as normal and also could just read
2) Mounted NTFS and....clicked on white space and have chosen "run as administrator"

after step 2 normal can move/write files from linux to ntfs/windows
make shure ntfs 3g is installed but on newest version of mint I think is built-in system

Return to “Beginner Questions”