Persistence partition mounts but doesn't work

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Reggie

Persistence partition mounts but doesn't work

Post by Reggie »

Hi there,

I posted the message below on the LMDE forum a week ago, but didn't get any responses. I'm hoping someone on this forum could provide some assistance.

I'm new to Linux. I'm using a USB live boot version of LMDE. System specs (copied from "System Reports" screen) are as follows:

Host: mint Kernel: 4.19.0-8-686 i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: LMDE 4 Debbie
base: Debian 10.2 buster

I created the live boot USB using Rufus 3.1, and while doing so, I created a persistence partition too. I use the system as the default user "mint".

The persistence partition mounts successfully on boot. I was even able to run the 'Benchmark Partition' utility on it. So I'm assuming the partition was created properly. However, none of my settings (WiFi, time, etc.) or downloaded applications (browser, etc.) are retained when I reboot the machine. What could possibly causing this? Is there something I need to enable?

Thank you for your help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Persistence partition mounts but doesn't work

Post by spamegg »

I've read that not all versions of Rufus support persistent partitions. Also I read that you need enough free space for persistence to work.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

I never used Rufus, so I can't help you with it, BUT

I have created live Linux USB drives with persistence many times. I used LiLi, or Linux Live USB creator.
Easy to use, and worked flawlessly every time.
https://www.linuxliveusb.com/

I also read about version X of Rufus not working properly...so, up to you.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

spamegg wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:50 am I've read that not all versions of Rufus support persistent partitions. Also I read that you need enough free space for persistence to work.
Spamegg, thank you for your response.
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

rickNS wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:25 am I never used Rufus, so I can't help you with it, BUT

I have created live Linux USB drives with persistence many times. I used LiLi, or Linux Live USB creator.
Easy to use, and worked flawlessly every time.
https://www.linuxliveusb.com/

I also read about version X of Rufus not working properly...so, up to you.
RickNS, thank you for your response!

Return to “Beginner Questions”