connect iPhone

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ellie145
Level 1
Level 1

connect iPhone

Post by ellie145 »

Hello guys,

I have literally hit my head on the walls to find a way to install iTunes. I'm disappointed guys. However I thought about the usb stick that can be plugged in both in the iphone and the pc. Has anyone used it? Does it work? Can transfer files both ways?
please help me... :(

I'm using Linux Mint "Debbie".
CapraFan
Level 1
Level 1

Re: connect iPhone

Post by CapraFan »

If your goal is to transfer files back and forth, you should be able to connect your phone to your computer via the USB cable that came with it and then "authorize" the computer when an authorization window comes up on the phone. The phone will then show up in the file manager as a storage device.

If you have other reasons to install iTunes, unfortunately Apple has not created a version for Linux. A Google search revealed this article on installing it under WINE: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-itu ... ux-1999251

Unfortunately, WINE is pretty hit or miss, and I wouldn't go this route unless you really have to. Be sure to see the sticky on installing WINE on Mint:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=314921

Good luck.
ellie145
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ellie145 »

I wanted iTunes because I add up songs to my playlist pretty frequently...
I've already tried the Wine version for itunes. I get a black screen with some letters allover the place.
I used Windows all my life and I was ready for a change because I love working with the "Command Line" and Linux is the top way to practice it that's why I changed. I loved Mint when I checked them out live but now that I have made this change is like moving to a new country and not knowing the language... and I have became a little desperate.

Thank you for you answer though!
webwrx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by webwrx »

ellie145 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:20 pm
However I thought about the usb stick that can be plugged in both in the iphone and the pc. Has anyone used it? Does it work? Can transfer files both ways?
Yes! Funny you should ask, I went through all this about 12 hours ago because my partner's iPhone connection to Linux is so flakey and unreliable. I picked up a Sandisk iXpand 32GB (they also come in 64 and 128). Works great! You need to run the iXpand App on your iPhone. There are basically 3 modes:

* Backup/Restore mode where it can create a complete backup of your phone onto the iXpand - good for people who worry about losing their complete library. It can also back up music, and other data on your phone. Backups can be set to happen automatically when you plug the iXpand in.
* A 'camera' function within the App that lets you take pics from within the app and they are stored direct to the iXpand as you take them.
* A 'copy' function where you can easily select file(s) on your device or on your iXpand and copy them to/from the device.

Using any of these methods it's just then very simple to plug the USB into your computer and it will show up in Mint and you'll be able to access anything on it with no stuffing around. Note if you use the 'Backup' method your pictures may be saved onto the stick in Apple's HEIC format just to annoy you. :lol:
ellie145
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ellie145 »

Well,
That’s exactly the answer I was looking for when I asked this question!
I’m about to purchase one of this sticks because everything at my work (files and stuff) pass through my phone and all this time I was accessing them through dropbox which is fine but chaotic sometimes.
However what really bothers me the most is the music that I have in my phone (which I had synchronized from my ex-windows pc), and I cannot access it anymore... I hope that iTunes will start working with linux kernels in the near future!

Return to “Newbie Questions”