MP3 player not recognized (SOLVED)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Zipjim89
Level 1
Level 1

MP3 player not recognized (SOLVED)

Post by Zipjim89 »

I had been able until now to load my humble little mp3 player by dropping, dragging, and directly downloading to its internal storage. But all of a sudden I can't do anything because even though it's connected by USB to my machine (I know because it's getting a charge...), and it doesn't get listed as a destination to transfer anything from/to. Is there some kind of driver file that I need to download and install? Help me, please?
Last edited by Zipjim89 on Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

all41
Level 16
Level 16

Re: MP3 player not recognized

Post by all41 »

Are you using the same cable? Cables go bad.
Even if the charge works that does not mean the data transfer wires/connectors are intact.
Try different cables and usb ports.
libera ab tyrannis

Zipjim89
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zipjim89 »

Cable works with other devices, and There is only 1 USB port on my machine. What now?

Lanser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lanser »

Check the settings on your player. USB connections usually need to be tagged as charging or file transfer.
It may have reset itself to charging only.
Lanser
Thinkpads:- LMDE4, LM19.1 Mate, Debian 10

Zipjim89
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zipjim89 »

Oddly enough this is what seems to be happening. The darn thing has been corrupted and is reverting to the charge only setting even though I reset it manually. Did a factory reset and that seems to have fixed it.

Return to “Newbie Questions”