[SOLVED] Moving from LM to LMDE?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
snowcrash101

[SOLVED] Moving from LM to LMDE?

Post by snowcrash101 »

Hi

I've been using LM for a couple of years. While still feel like a newbie, I'm more comfortable with linux overall, and using the command line when needed etc.

I've been thinking of moving to LMDE 4. As I'm more comfortable with the philosphy of debian (rather than its commercial derivative Ubuntu).

Are there any significant disadvantages of LMDE4 - compared with LM - that I should be aware of? (For example, is LMDE as stable as LM? Is the software in repositories as recent or more dated? etc).

Thanks for any advice
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
snowcrash101

Re: Moving from LM to LMDE?

Post by snowcrash101 »

I found this thread, in case anyone else is looking: viewtopic.php?f=251&t=314843&hilit=lmde
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Moving from LM to LMDE?

Post by Moonstone Man »

snowcrash101 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:59 pm I found this thread, in case anyone else is looking: viewtopic.php?f=251&t=314843&hilit=lmde
It might help others if you document what you took from those four full pages of posts.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: [SOLVED] Moving from LM to LMDE?

Post by Pjotr »

My take: choose easy. Main Mint is the easiest. Heaven for lazy guys like I. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:31 pm My take: choose easy. Main Mint is the easiest. Heaven for lazy guys like I. :mrgreen:
Well, yes, that's valid, but so are any other number of reasons. I use LMDE4 because of its long-term stability. It would be interesting to know what the OP got out of the thread though.
Scytale
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Scytale »

From my own experience:

LMDE4 is more stable because of the Debian base. Stable with all the pro/cons you can read in most of the Debian discussion. In my specific experience, the Ubuntu side caused some applications to break (a pdf tool, backintime, calibre) with some updates. No big deal, but that's because Ubuntu has less testing and another development philosophy. Ubuntu is not bad, they fix most of the stuff in a reasonable amount of time, and it's still Linux and you can fix or find workarounds for almost everything.

I can't judge how stable the Cinammon specific updates are, but it was possible for me, to patch the LMDE4 initial release image to the current version without errors.

Otherwise automatic proprietary driver installation and kernel management is missing. No problem on my only AMD machine whatsoever, and on my Intel/Nvidia Thinkpad, the boot with Nvidia drivers did everything.

From daily usage I can't see a difference, you really have to look at details like version numbers and stuff. And that details might not make the difference for you. Because I have a very linux friendly machine, everythings just working as fine as in regular LM.

So it comes down do a question of your preferred project philosophy and how much you are willing to tinker to get your hardware to work.

Return to “Beginner Questions”