Latest LMDE packages

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
richard-g8jvm
Level 4
Level 4

Latest LMDE packages

Post by richard-g8jvm »

I tried Debian 10, and the install was a disaster , succeeded on the forth attempt, only to find
that I had No WiFi as I guess the RTL NIC was considered proprietary, so I threw LM20 on this machine but not happy.

questions:
Will LMDE support my RTL WiFi NIC, LM20 does
What Kernel is packaged and is kernel 5.3 or later available
What version of Mono is packaged
What version of Mysql id packaged
What version of SQLite is packaged
What version of gnuradio is packaged
Also versions for gcc, g++
is the installer nice like LM20 & 19.3
or horrible like native debian 10
Thanks
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Latest LMDE pacakages

Post by antikythera »

No idea about the NIC you have but you can try it with live media and see for yourself before installing

Kernel 4.19 is installed by default but you can install newer kernels from debian backports which are enabled by default

the LMDE4 installer is calamares, slightly better than debian's but not the same as Mint's it works nicely in EFI or legacy mode.

Mono 5.18.0.240
mysql-common 5.8+1.0.5
sqlite 2.8.17-15
gnuradio 3.7.13.4
gcc.g++ 4:8.3.0

one thing to note, synaptic marks grub-pc as residual on EFI installations. do not purge that particular package unless you want to mess up the Mint grub configuration.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
richard-g8jvm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Latest LMDE packages

Post by richard-g8jvm »

Thanks for the reply
I'm battling large memory leaks in LM20.
I've got from 20 mins before OOM kicks in and kills the application which needs to be run for several hours
sometimes up to 12 hours, to about 4 hours. I found the worst culprit to be SQLite, fixed by moving to mysql , but major problems getting that to work.
The remaining leak source is mono-6.8 . I'm working with the developer of the application to try and find a solution, but with his main work commitments ,made worse by covid-19, he has very little time. And fixing the linux problems are liable to break the Win10 usage, and there are many more windows users than linux users
Complications:
one of my machines has a Ryzen 5 CPU with built in GPU, it wont run on Kernel-4, I Had big problems just getting linux on it as it need Kernel-5.2 or later.
I build the binaries for two other applications , one which is easy to build , the developer used gcc7 compiling code written using an earlier version of gcc/g++
and compiling with a later version, usually will throw up a few warnings, but the other way around causes problems.
The other application is a pig to build as it requires building four other packages which keep changing , that requires gnuradio-3.8, which is not the easiest to build,
but could be done. At least revisions for that app are only a couple of times a year, unlike the other which is very frequent with bug fixes for win10, or new feature requests.
I don't think that using LMDE is going to help :(
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

You're welcome, I guessed you needed specific version numbers to see if it was going to help or not. So I don't feel you wasted anyone's time asking. Hopefully they will solve the sqlite conundrum.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
richard-g8jvm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richard-g8jvm »

Thanks, the info was very useful.
For SQLite users it will be a problem, its so heavily integrated in to all distros, you cant uninstall and build your own version.
perhaps someone will realise the foolishness of removing the memory recover option and put it back in when complaint levels get high enough.
On Mysql, the memory leak source looks to be libgdiplus, according to Github a memory leak has been fixed, I'm running mono-6.10 at the moment which has the later version of libgdiplus , the memory use is still creeping up , but much slower., So by the time LMDE 5 is released and later versions are added, hopefully
who ever decides which package versions to include will check package sources like Github for bug fix levels and not blindly trust that the package is OK.

Return to “Newbie Questions”