[SOLVED] Live Image Creation?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Live Image Creation?

Post by Fuzzy »

I've been a user of Linux for a while now, but still don't know so many of the deeper workings - or even some of the the basic LINUX concepts. Today, I found another hole in my knowledge.

I had downloaded the LMDE4 ISO when it became available a few months back, and made a LiveUSB to install it from. Today, I installed from the USB again, onto an old laptop I had lying around. The install (as usual) went flawlessly with LMDE4, but when I went to update the system via update manager, the number/size of updates was HUGE. Timewise - it was like installing the OS all over again.

My question: Is there an easy way to create new Live/Install media with these most recent updates already applied? (A way to recreate a Live image with these updates already applied, but without my personal account settings being part of the image?)

I figure the updates are device/local configuration specific, so I am doubtful as to what extent this could be done...still, I'd like to understand the process if there is one. I'd be happy to be referred elsewhere if there are suggested write-ups on this topic.

Thanks,
Fuzzy
Last edited by Fuzzy on Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twerq
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Live Image Creation?

Post by twerq »

Hi Fuzzy,
Fuzzy wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:42 pm
Is there an easy way to create new Live/Install media with these most recent updates already applied? (A way to recreate a Live image with these updates already applied, but without my personal account settings being part of the image?)
Nope, AFAIK.
Fuzzy wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:42 pm
I figure the updates are device/local configuration specific, so I am doubtful as to what extent this could be done...still, I'd like to understand the process if there is one. I'd be happy to be referred elsewhere if there are suggested write-ups on this topic.
During update process tarballs with packages download somewhere into /var/cache. Then those packages install by dpkg. To preserve the machine state we use Timeshift. This task is the purpose of Timeshift. So you can install system from usb-stick and then restore Timeshift snapshot over it to get your system to latest state. Yes, Timeshift can save only system related files and/or user related files. By default only system related files copy to snapshot.

So If you want to pack all updates into installation image, you have to figure out files to copy. Then unpack squashfs file which you can locate on live usb-stick. Add your files to result and pack new squashfs file. In general terms.
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Live Image Creation?

Post by Fuzzy »

Thanks. Marking as solved.

Fuzzy
jwiz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jwiz »

If you want to get into this, there is a nice guide for creating a Debian live-build here:
https://willhaley.com/blog/custom-debia ... vironment/
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fuzzy »

Thanks, JWIZ! That's exactly along the lines of what I was looking for!

Fuzzy

Return to “Newbie Questions”