[SOLVED] Strange UI of some applications

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
TheyLive
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Strange UI of some applications

Post by TheyLive »

Hi!

I see a nice interface in the screenshots of some programs. But when I install these programs, I see a terrible interface (no color icons, only black-white surrogate, font replaced, etc.). The programs themselves work fine.
For example, qBitTorrent, Kate

Please tell me how to enable normal interface in these programs?
Last edited by TheyLive on Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
axisofevil
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Strange UI of some applications

Post by axisofevil »

You can't - these are Qt5 programs, designed to look nice in KDE.
But they are fully functional - just not using the Gtk interface, so you don't get the nice pretty themed layout.

If you switched to a KDE desktop, I assume that they would look nice - but all your Gnome/Cinnamon stuff would suffer in the looks department.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

Use qt5 Settings (also known as Qt configuration tool) to tweak how they look. You'll maybe need a Qt theme equivalent of your preferred GTK theme installed from the ubuntu repositories. Some are available but if not, you can fiddle with colours of the default GTK2 widget appearance overlaid on Qt applications when used in GTK desktop environments.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
TheyLive
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheyLive »

antikythera wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:47 am
Use qt5 Settings
GTK2
Thanks.

Return to “Newbie Questions”