LMDE doesn't load

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
OLOV
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE doesn't load

Post by OLOV »

I'll try to keep this short.
I installed Linux Mint and like it but I don't like all the updates. It's like having Windows again.
So I dowloaded a LMDE4 image and installed it on another computer. All good!
However, on my Lenovo ideapad which currently has Linux Mint installed, it boots up the image for LMDE4 with the 3 choices but no matter which one I try it starts loading LMDE4 and then hangs after a couple lines. Nothing every happens. I've tried changin bios settings between uefi and legacy, I've disabled secure boot. Basically, I've run out of ideas on why it just never loads the LMDE4. Any suggestions as to why Linux Mint works fine and LMDE4 hangs after the initial choice?
motoryzen
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LMDE doesn't load

Post by motoryzen »

OLOV wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:50 pm
I'll try to keep this short.
I installed Linux Mint and like it but I don't like all the updates. It's like having Windows again.
So I dowloaded a LMDE4 image and installed it on another computer. All good!
However, on my Lenovo ideapad which currently has Linux Mint installed, it boots up the image for LMDE4 with the 3 choices but no matter which one I try it starts loading LMDE4 and then hangs after a couple lines. Nothing every happens. I've tried changin bios settings between uefi and legacy, I've disabled secure boot. Basically, I've run out of ideas on why it just never loads the LMDE4. Any suggestions as to why Linux Mint works fine and LMDE4 hangs after the initial choice?
"but I don't like all the updates. It's like having Windows again": 0.o Um.What? How is that even possible? In Windows..you Hhave no choice. It WILL ...eventually..install a critical or accumulative update unless you're still hellbent on staying with win 7 which is not a wise idea from a security standpoint. You don't own your own PC anymore using Windows.

In Linux mint ( regardless of the D.E.) you decide when you get updates, what update you get, how many you choose to install at once, and if you want to either temporarily ignore specific updates or permanently ignore any of them and can STILL go back and change that.

Na...nothing about Windows updates is similar to updates in Linux.
neko-cha

Post by neko-cha »

Linux Mint and LMDE are have two different bases, as such you can get two different results; especially on specialized hardware like laptops.

LMDE is based on Debian stable. It is older, and you may be prone to more issues with new hardware. for example on my MSI laptop LMDE had issues with the dual GPUs and power management. However Linux Mint works fine.

Linux Mint on the other hand is based on Ubuntu, which means it has all the new stuff included by default. You have much better compatibility, though perhaps at the expense of stability.

The hanging indicates incompatibility somewhere. If you -really- want to use LMDE you are going to need some techies to help you troubleshoot the kernel load to pinpoint the offending module which will be a lot of work and likely even more headaches. It would be much easier just to stick with Linux Mint, then turn everything off from the preferences in the Update Manager. You can even turn off the update icon if you want.

Maybe when LMDE5 comes out you can try again since it will have a newer base. At least that's what i'm going to try next year with my MSI ^^;
OLOV
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OLOV »

Thanks neko-cha. I figure it's a conflict with hardware but it could just be something simple. I was hoping that someone could tell me whether it's a total waste of time to try or maybe something a little work can solve.

Maybe this will help someone decide if it's worth trying to solve.

System:
Host: k4yus-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Slim-1-14AST-05 Kernel: 5.4.0-48-generic x86_64
bits: 64 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 81VS
v: Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 1-14AST-05 serial: R90YGKFC
Mobo: LENOVO model: LNVNB161216 v: SDK0R32802 WIN serial: R90YGKFC
UEFI: LENOVO v: CWCN18WW date: 03/11/2020
Battery:
ID-1: BAT0 charge: 34.6 Wh condition: 34.6/35.0 Wh (99%)
CPU:
Topology: Dual Core model: AMD A6-9220e RADEON R4 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G
bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 1024 KiB
Speed: 1191 MHz min/max: 1200/1600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1191 2: 1190
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Stoney [Radeon R2/R3/R4/R5 Graphics] driver: amdgpu
v: kernel
Display: server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: amdgpu,ati
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD STONEY (DRM 3.35.0 5.4.0-48-generic LLVM 10.0.0)
v: 4.5 Mesa 20.0.8
Audio:
Device-1: AMD driver: snd_hda_intel
Device-2: AMD Family 15h Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-48-generic
Network:
Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
driver: ath10k_pci
IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: 80:30:49:73:65:71
Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros type: USB driver: btusb
IF-ID-1: proton0 state: unknown speed: 10 Mbps duplex: full mac: N/A
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 524.00 GiB used: 161.22 GiB (30.8%)
ID-1: /dev/mmcblk0 model: MMC64G size: 58.24 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sda type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: SD9SN8W512G
size: 465.76 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 56.58 GiB used: 49.71 GiB (87.9%) fs: ext4
dev: /dev/mmcblk0p2
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 36.5 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 43 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
Processes: 198 Uptime: 1h 35m Memory: 3.67 GiB used: 1.71 GiB (46.5%)
Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.38

Return to “Newbie Questions”