nvidia update from 440 to 450 failure

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
SilFox
Level 1
Level 1

nvidia update from 440 to 450 failure

Post by SilFox »

Hi,
this is LMDE 4 installed (with nvidia proprietary driver from normal installation procedure) few days ago;
today I noticed two updates: nvidia-graphic-drivers and nvidia-settings, both v.450.66-1~bpo 10+1.
Current version was 440.100-1~bpo 10+1.
After reboot I was left with blank screen with one underscore ( _ ) top left.
Ctrl+alt+F2 bringed me terminal where I was able to run timeshift and restore to state before upgrading.
Is this some bug, or what? Should I mark those packages as "Ignore all future updates for this package"?
Thanks
champloo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: nvidia update from 440 to 450 failure

Post by champloo »

I guess it's kind of comforting to know that I'm not the only one after this recent update. Trying to fix the same thing, it seems:
viewtopic.php?f=246&t=331643

However, I don't know how to use this Timeshift, especially over Terminal.
SilFox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilFox »

Yup, I noticed Your post immediately after publishing mine.

When I was in terminal (at this failure), by issuing "journalctl -b", I saw about 10 red messages complaining on different nvidia 'things', but unfortunately did not write them down.
champloo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by champloo »

How can I sue this Timeshift over Terminal to revert everything back?
SilFox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilFox »

After booting and having this black screen with _ ,
press ctrl+alt+F2 , tha will bring You terminal,
login, and type "timeshift" , or "timeshift --help", list Your newest (before update nvidia) backup file name, then restore to it, can't remember exact commands, but all commands are listed in "timeshift --help", so it is not hard to manage it.
Example:
timeshift --restore --snapshot '2020-09-whatever-date-and-time'
(I don't know if You have to use sudo or not)
champloo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by champloo »

I just tried this:

Code: Select all

sudo timeshift --restore
It asked me to choose a device with a restore snapshot. I tried all devices (Linux partitions) and it threw me an error that no snapshots were found on any device. Was I supposed to make a snapshot earlier or some backup is being made before every update, but I'm just failing to work around it?
SilFox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilFox »

You never did a setup of System Snapshots (Welcome screen ---> System snapshots) ?
If that is so, than You have not any snapshot, so You can't restore system.

What does command "sudo timeshift --list" give?
Here is mine:

sudo timeshift --list

/dev/sdd2 is mounted at: /run/timeshift/backup, options: rw,relatime

Device : /dev/sdd2
UUID   : 99999999-1111-1111-1111-999999999992
Path   : /run/timeshift/backup
Mode   : RSYNC
2 snapshots, 359.7 GB free

Num     Name                 Tags  Description  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0    >  2020-09-28_13-01-01  O M                
1    >  2020-09-30_20-55-54  O        
Last two lines shows names of that two backups, so, I used last one:

sudo timeshift --restore --snapshot '2020-09-30_20-55-54'
after that follow questions, usually answer as 'enter' ...
Mike_D
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mike_D »

Regarding Timeshift: If in doubt, you can always boot from LMDE 4 install media and run Timeshift in the GUI...
SilFox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilFox »

Mike_D wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:34 pm
Regarding Timeshift: If in doubt, you can always boot from LMDE 4 install media and run Timeshift in the GUI...
Thank You for this info, I didn't know that.

It seems that champloo had a new LMDE install, without timeshift initiated - so, no any backup file to restore from.

About this update:
I analized that :

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libnvidia-fatbinaryloader nvidia-driver nvidia-driver-libs-i386:i386 nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-kernel-support
The following packages will be upgraded:
  libegl-nvidia0 libegl-nvidia0:i386 libgl1-nvidia-glvnd-glx libgl1-nvidia-glvnd-glx:i386 libgles-nvidia1 libgles-nvidia1:i386 libgles-nvidia2 libgles-nvidia2:i386 libglx-nvidia0 libglx-nvidia0:i386 libnvidia-cbl libnvidia-cfg1
  libnvidia-eglcore libnvidia-eglcore:i386 libnvidia-glcore libnvidia-glcore:i386 libnvidia-glvkspirv libnvidia-glvkspirv:i386 libnvidia-ml1 libnvidia-ptxjitcompiler1 libxnvctrl0 nvidia-alternative nvidia-driver-bin nvidia-driver-libs
  nvidia-driver-libs:i386 nvidia-egl-common nvidia-egl-icd nvidia-egl-icd:i386 nvidia-legacy-check nvidia-settings nvidia-vdpau-driver nvidia-vulkan-common nvidia-vulkan-icd nvidia-vulkan-icd:i386 xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
35 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/50.6 MB of archives.
After this operation, 34.8 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 
And I think this is the reason why system will be broken after reboot:

"The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libnvidia-fatbinaryloader nvidia-driver nvidia-driver-libs-i386:i386 nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-kernel-support"
So, such update should NEVER appear in Update Manager notification, it should be blocked/hidden/disabled whatever - so normal user should never see it.
bookter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bookter »

I'm one of the people bitten by this bug, and I did not have a snapshot. I can log in but cannot start X.

So, using apt in a terminal, how do I go about uninstalling the update and reverting to the old NVidia 340.xx drivers, or failing that, even dumping NVidia altogether and setting up Noveau nv drivers? My card is a GT740 (Kepler).

Thanks in advance...
SilFox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilFox »

bookter wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:40 pm
...reverting to the old NVidia 340.xx drivers ...
Did You mean 440.xx?

Anyway, if You have separated /home folder partition (not LVM), maybe it'll be better to reinstall system.
If You have a will to explore strange new worlds of terminal --->
https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD ... stallation
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=143999
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I've tracked it down to nvidia-kernel-support package now requiring nvidia-modprobe >= 450. Fresh installation of LMDE 4 (choosing "install with nvidia drivers") only has nvidia-modprobe 418.56 from the original Buster repo, not from buster-backports. It can't be auto-upgraded to 450.66 from buster-backports during dist-upgrade (or mintupdate operations) due to buster-backports having priority 100. (Yes, you can run "apt dist-upgrade -t buster-backports", but it will upgrade everything to the backports - it's not recommended.)

Explicitly upgrading nvidia-modprobe to 450.66 buster-backports before doing dist-upgrade works. But we have another hidden dependency problem here:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-backpor ... 00000.html
https://lists.debian.org/debian-backpor ... 00001.html

It's hidden because you will only know about it by running "apt list --upgradable" - dist-upgrade or mintupdate won't show libnvidia-rtcore as upgradable at all. Since it's built from the same source package (nvidia-graphics-drivers) as the driver and the libs, I'd wait with upgrading until this problem is fixed.
SilFox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilFox »

Thank You for this info.
I think I will stay with v.450 untill LMDE 5 ( so untill Year 2025 :mrgreen: )
I am statisfied with v.450; works flawlessly with steam games, and works with suspend/resume. So I blacklisted any nVidia update.

Problem is: My greedy eyes looking for nVidia RTX 3070 upgrade ...
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

I'd like an RTX3070 too but can't really justify buying one at the moment since I have an MSI Gaming X Trio GTX1080ti which runs the new AAA and older games I play on it at 1440p which is my panel's native resolution without any problems.

The good support for linux these days is seriously tempting me to ditch W10 too. I just need to learn a bit more about how lutris works for my uPlay games I guess. Also a bit concerned about VAC bans on some other titles triggered by non-Windows detection.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor

Return to “Newbie Questions”