LMDE4 32-bit: Updating kernel and removing obsolete kernels

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
grioghair
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE4 32-bit: Updating kernel and removing obsolete kernels

Post by grioghair »

I just installed LMDE4, it is my first time installing Mint Debian, and it is on a 32 bit machine. So, I am a complete newbie on this system. How do I update the kernel and remove earlier versions. It doesn't seem to work through update manager on this system.

Any help greatly appreciated,

G
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title: Made it explain in more details what the intention is
jwiz
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Updating kernel

Post by jwiz »

See here, for instance:
viewtopic.php?f=248&t=331903
vimes666
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Updating kernel

Post by vimes666 »

@jwiz: the link you provide has linux-image-amd64 and linux-headers-amd64 in its solution. That sounds like 64bit. The topicstarter mentioned a 32bit machine..
Shouldnt that be something with i386 in it or so?
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Re: LMDE4 32-bit: Updating kernel and removing obsolete kernels

Post by antikythera »

grioghair wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:49 am
I just installed LMDE4, it is my first time installing Mint Debian, and it is on a 32 bit machine. So, I am a complete newbie on this system. How do I update the kernel and remove earlier versions. It doesn't seem to work through update manager on this system.

G
Stick with kernel 4.19 series if you are not experiencing any problems with your hardware, it is not old and outdated. It's the equivalent of an Ubuntu hardware enablement kernel for Debian and still receives security and hardware support updates.

the newer backport kernels are not fully tested and supported officially or guaranteed to be supported for the life of the distribution or be without any issues. The 4.19 kernels have been fully tested and supported officially.

You will get updates for kernel 4.19 as and when they are available. You should be on 4.19.0-11 currently whereas the install kernel was 4.19.0-8.

If you want to remove earlier kernel builds (you should really keep one minimum anyway) use synaptic package manager and remove only the three packages matching the older version number. Do not remove all kernel 4.19 packages or you will break the installation.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
grioghair
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE4 32-bit: Updating kernel and removing obsolete kernels

Post by grioghair »

antikythera wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:49 am
grioghair wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:49 am

G
Stick with kernel 4.19 series if you are not experiencing any problems with your hardware, it is not old and outdated. It's the equivalent of an Ubuntu hardware enablement kernel for Debian and still receives security and hardware support updates.

the newer backport kernels are not fully tested and supported officially or guaranteed to be supported for the life of the distribution or be without any issues. The 4.19 kernels have been fully tested and supported officially.

You will get updates for kernel 4.19 as and when they are available. You should be on 4.19.0-11 currently whereas the install kernel was 4.19.0-8.

If you want to remove earlier kernel builds (you should really keep one minimum anyway) use synaptic package manager and remove only the three packages matching the older version number. Do not remove all kernel 4.19 packages or you will break the installation.
I am taking your advice and sticking with the current kernel - which is 4.19.0-11, as you state. The only issue I had was with the computer being a little slow, but I installed zram and dropped the swap down to 20 and it is working a lot better now.

Return to “Newbie Questions”