NetworkManager and Wi-Fi

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phelum
Level 1
Level 1

NetworkManager and Wi-Fi

Post by phelum »

Hi,
Yesterday I installed LMDE debbie on an x64 PC with a Wi-Fi dongle (no Ethernet). I have no entries in my /etc/network/interfaces file and as expected NetworkManager lists the unplugged LAN port and my Wi-Fi dongle. But whenever I try to connect to my server (using Network Connections) it tries for about 20 seconds and then reports an authentication failure. The Wi-Fi details (e.g. SSID and password) are correct.

This a multi-boot PC and other operating systems (Debian and Ubuntu) can connect. The difference with these other systems is that I have details in my network interfaces file and also the wpa_supplicant files. I haven't tried NetworkManager on these older systems.

Now I have disabled NetworkManager in LMDE and added the network interfaces and wpa_supplicant details and the Wi-Fi connection now works. However this is not an ideal solution because I can not enable/disable connections or select a Wi-Fi network in LMDE. I can't enable NetworkManager because it starts wpa_supplicant before the "raise network interfaces" is done and the ifup for the Wi-Fi fails because it can't start wpa_supplicant.

Does anybody have any clues about getting NetworkManager to work ? My LMDE installation was just how I expect a dumb consumer would do it.

Thanks,
Steven
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phelum
Level 1
Level 1

Re: NetworkManager and Wi-Fi

Post by phelum »

Hi,

Updating my own thread here:

The NetworkManager problem occurred because the Wi-Fi dongle firmware (rt2870.bin) was missing. I don't remember any option to install firmware during the installation process but perhaps I missed it.

Cheers,
Steven

Return to “Beginner Questions”