I can't install or configure my Nvidia driver

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nihilistmermaid
Level 1
Level 1

I can't install or configure my Nvidia driver

Post by nihilistmermaid »

Hi guys,
So I just installed Mint LMDE 4 today and I was getting things done, until I faced a tough issue that I've been at for like 3 hours now and I'm really lost. I can't setup my Nvidia driver. :cry:

I tried:
- Opening Drivers Manager from System Settings> Administration but it's not even there!!
- Upgrading Nvidia drivers from the terminal directly using apt-upgrade and following some solutions here and there but still nothing works.
- Did this

Code: Select all

inxi -v1
and got

System:
  Host: fatimah Kernel: 5.9.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 Distro: LMDE 4 Debbie 
CPU:
  6-Core: Intel Core i7-9750H type: MT MCP speed: 1418 MHz 
  min/max: 800/4500 MHz 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Device-2: NVIDIA driver: N/A 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.6 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.38 TiB used: 943.37 GiB (67.0%) 
Info:
  Processes: 291 Uptime: 27m Memory: 15.49 GiB used: 1.92 GiB (12.4%) 
  Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.32 
These are the packages I need to upgrade:

apt list --upgradable
Listing... Done
libnvidia-rtcore/debbie 450.66-1~bpo10+1 amd64 [upgradable from: 440.59-1~bpo10+1]
nvidia-driver-libs-i386/debbie 440.100-1~bpo10+1 i386 [upgradable from: 440.59-1~bpo10+1]

Also!!! something very weird. When I try opening Nvidia Settings from System Settings> Administration and it won't launch at all!!!!!!
Help a new LMDE fellow:(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: I can't install or configure my Nvidia driver

Post by SMG »

LMDE has the 4.19 kernel which does work with Nvidia. I'm not sure why you installed the 5.9 kernel, but it is my understanding there is not yet full support with Nvidia drivers and the 5.9 kernel. The Nvidia drivers do work with the 5.8 kernel. Check to see if you have the 5.8.0 available in Update Manager.

Section 5 of READ: How To Get Help! explains the data we need to be able to help you. If you would supply the output of inxi -Fxxxrz then we would have a better idea of the hardware you are using so we could help you.
nihilistmermaid wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:59 pmAlso!!! something very weird. When I try opening Nvidia Settings from System Settings> Administration and it won't launch at all!!!!!!
It will only launch if the Nvidia driver is installed. Right now your data indicates the driver is Not Available.
Device-2: NVIDIA driver: N/A

Edited to remove my comment about Driver Manager.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
joshontech
Level 1
Level 1

Re: I can't install or configure my Nvidia driver

Post by joshontech »

When you installed LMDE4 did you use the nvidia driver to boot the usb? It gives you an option in grub to boot using the nvidia driver when you boot from the live usb. It also installs the briver so on first boot it boots with the driver installed and enabled.

Return to “Beginner Questions”