[Solved] LMDE 4 Partitioning

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cooky
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] LMDE 4 Partitioning

Post by cooky »

Dear All,

I'm wondering if there's a step by step guide regarding LMDE installation, especially how to set proper partitions. To be precised it's about
Laptop with 8GB RAM and 480 GB SSD disk, whole disk is assigned to Linux, no windows needed.
I know that there's a automatic partitioning step, but I'm not sure if it chooses the optimum solution for my configuration.

Would anyone of you suggest me the answer or already pepped manual for such need?

Thanks,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: LMDE 4 Partitioning

Post by antikythera »

To be even more precise, please post the full system information so you aren't lead in the wrong direction with your partitioning.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

cooky wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:56 pm ... proper partitions.
There's no one-size-fits-all answer to that question. A single partition for everything is the simplest solution, and arguably the best solution for newbies. Once you start splitting things up, there are lots of options and lots of opinions. Plus, much depends on how you're going to use the system. For example, do you anticipate installing Flatpaks or Snaps? If you don't know, it's hard to say how large a system/root partition you need.
cooky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cooky »

antikythera wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:00 pm To be even more precise, please post the full system information so you aren't lead in the wrong direction with your partitioning.

What do you mean by full system information?
cooky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cooky »

linux-rox wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:59 pm
cooky wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:56 pm ... proper partitions.
There's no one-size-fits-all answer to that question. A single partition for everything is the simplest solution, and arguably the best solution for newbies. Once you start splitting things up, there are lots of options and lots of opinions. Plus, much depends on how you're going to use the system. For example, do you anticipate installing Flatpaks or Snaps? If you don't know, it's hard to say how large a system/root partition you need.
I usually disable flatpaks. Iwas wondering how about swap partition is that needed especially when it works on SSD. Is that in my case the easiest way to use the auto option from LMDE installer?
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

cooky wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:25 pm
antikythera wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:00 pm To be even more precise, please post the full system information so you aren't lead in the wrong direction with your partitioning.

If you had clicked on the link, you would know. And system info is relevant to your swap partition question, for example.

More to the point, sounds like you're still relatively new. In which case, a simple one-partition system probably is the best answer. Not by accident, that's what the installer does by default. Worry about multi-partition for your next installation, by which time you'll have a better idea of what the various schemes do and which fits you better.
cooky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cooky »

linux-rox wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:36 pm
cooky wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:25 pm

If you had clicked on the link, you would know. And system info is relevant to your swap partition question, for example.

More to the point, sounds like you're still relatively new. In which case, a simple one-partition system probably is the best answer. Not by accident, that's what the installer does by default. Worry about multi-partition for your next installation, by which time you'll have a better idea of what the various schemes do and which fits you better.
Oh really, so I ask again. Why do you need full system log including audio, processor, serial numbers, graphic info? Is it necessary for partitioning matter?
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Not a full system log just some basic information about the machine and how it boots which believe it or not does actually matter. Automatic partitioning on the LMDE ISO does not always work properly.

On my laptop it wouldn't install grub correctly for EFI boot mode even though that is how the ISO was booted, so I had to either repair it after install or do the job properly myself using manual partitioning in the first place.

That is why it matters that you post such information so that you avoid such potentially frustrating stumbling blocks after install.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

cooky wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:19 pm Oh really, so I ask again. Why do you need full system log including audio, processor, serial numbers, graphic info? Is it necessary for partitioning matter?
Why do you resist such a simple request as furnishing an inxi report? And it is, after all, specified in a Forum sticky on "how to get help." Whatever the reason, your choice. Just as it's my choice to find something else to do with my time. Ciao.
murdokkk2525

Post by murdokkk2525 »

Because of fear of hacking ! LOL I'm doomed ! :shock: :mrgreen:

System:
Host: sparky6 Kernel: 5.10.1-sparky-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: LXQt 0.14.1
Distro: SparkyLinux 6 (Po-Tolo)
Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME A320M-K v: Rev X.0x
serial: <superuser required> UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: 5408
date: 12/27/2019
CPU:
Info: Quad Core AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics [MCP]
speed: 1348 MHz min/max: 1400/3600 MHz
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Picasso driver: amdgpu v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: amdgpu,ati
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics (RAVEN DRM 3.40.0
5.10.1-sparky-amd64 LLVM 11.0.0)
v: 4.6 Mesa 20.2.6
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 223.58 GiB used: 148.24 GiB (66.3%)
Info:
Processes: 218 Uptime: 1d 11h 06m Memory: 5.75 GiB used: 1.47 GiB (25.5%)
Shell: Bash inxi: 3.2.01
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

@cooky, just use the automatic partitioning and come back if you encounter problems booting the machine afterwards. Someone will help you if you are willing to cooperate a bit more with simple requests.
cooky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cooky »

Yeah, thanks. After a years of dealing with IT matter and a different kind of forums from IT to automotive ones I realized that there are many big headed people who try to do anything to exist on the forum and actually doesn't know much about the issue. Such person knows a bit more then you and use you as testing environment to prove if it works or not. In such case I appreciate such help but I don't want it. It's okay that you say I can't help you unless you provide me this, this and that. I have a choice and all other comments are rubbish for me and those people may do other things because I'm not interested in their opinions.

For instance the reason why I put this topic to the Newbie section is because I thought it might be so obvious that it shouldn't be in the main structure from other perspective such topic is so essential that it's incredible. For example you can encrypt your home folder and you might encounter some serious issues in the future. From my point of view this step might influence the stability of the whole system. If you have a lot of free time it's not an issue, but if don't have it much, digging through many comments especially when they don't even touch the topic is sometimes not even possible to proceed, but you still want and have to use your PC ,so it eventually might finish on MS or Apple system what might be quite sad :-)

Anyway Marry Christmas and Wonderful year 2021 :-)
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

cooky wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:46 pm I have a choice and all other comments are rubbish for me and those people may do other things because I'm not interested in their opinions.

If you have a lot of free time it's not an issue, but if don't have it much, digging through many comments especially when they don't even touch the topic is sometimes not even possible to proceed, but you still want and have to use your PC ,so it eventually might finish on MS or Apple system what might be quite sad :-)
Agreed, season's greetings to you too and good luck with the install if you do go ahead with it.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

cooky wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:46 pm After a years of dealing with IT matter and a different kind of forums from IT to automotive ones ...
Then you should know better. Every tech support forum I've ever seen has something like Mint's how to get help sticky. Not only did you ignore it, you refused to follow it when pointed out to you. So go ahead and work yourself up into a state of righteous indignation. You're still wrong.

Merry Christmas.
Fossy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fossy »

cooky wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:56 pm Dear All,

I'm wondering if there's a step by step guide regarding LMDE installation, especially how to set proper partitions. To be precised it's about
Laptop with 8GB RAM and 480 GB SSD disk, whole disk is assigned to Linux, no windows needed.
I know that there's a automatic partitioning step, but I'm not sure if it chooses the optimum solution for my configuration.

Would anyone of you suggest me the answer or already pepped manual for such need?

Thanks,
it's as simple as that :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1z6C9hdtmk
cooky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cooky »

Fossy wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:33 am
cooky wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:56 pm Dear All,

Thanks,
it's as simple as that :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1z6C9hdtmk

Cool, thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”