Unable to open Software Manager (no password prompt)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Colma
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to open Software Manager (no password prompt)

Post by Colma »

Hi, I'm a new user to Linux and just installed LinuxMint LMDE4 yesterday.

My issue:
When attempting to open software manager, nothing happens. No password prompt, no error message, no window comes up. I tried running the app from the terminal by just typing "mintinstall", and this is the error that comes up:

"Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintinstall/mintinstall.py", line 27, in <module>
from mintcommon.installer import installer
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mintcommon/installer/installer.py", line 10, in <module>
from . import cache, _flatpak, _apt
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mintcommon/installer/cache.py", line 11, in <module>
from . import _apt
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mintcommon/installer/_apt.py", line 11, in <module>
import aptdaemon.client
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'aptdaemon.client'"

So I tried doing the aptdaemon.client import myself, and it seemed to import, but its sitting in my Home folder and I don't have permissions to move it. I wanted to try moving it to the directory it shows in the error: usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mintcommon/installer. I don't know if this would even work, but I'm not sure what else to do.

Here is what I've tried already. Some from suggestions on google/other posts with a similar issue:

I've tried rebooting the pc multiple times.

I've tried reinstalling software manager. I've tried this multiple times, both through terminal, through the Synaptic Package Manager, and a combination of both. Same issue.

I've tried sudo apt-get update. No error messages come up, and says all packages are up to date.

And I've tried:

"sudo apt-get clean

cd /var/lib/apt

sudo mv lists lists.old

sudo mkdir -p lists/partial

sudo apt-get clean

sudo apt-get update"

And thats really all I could come up with to try so far. I haven't been able to find anything else on the web. Also, not sure if this is related, but I had a similar issue with the Multimedia codec that the Welcome prompt suggests launching after installing LinuxMint. When trying to launch that app, no response. However that app has since disappeared after I installed mint-meta-codecs through the synaptic package manager.

I bring this up though because prior to updating Linux through the Update Manager, that application seemed to be working. But at the time of launching it, my internet wasn't hooked up. After connecting to the internet, I updated Linux through the Update Manager, tried running the Multimedia Codec app again, and had no response. I hadn't tried opening Software Manager before updating Linux through the Update Manager though, so I'm unsure if it was working prior to the Linux update or not. But I thought this might suggest that the Linux update may have caused the issue with Software Manager not opening as well.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Unable to open Software Manager (no password prompt)

Post by zcot »

Did you verify the iso after download? Did you verify the media after burning usb/dvd but before installing? Either case could possibly produce errors.

Frankly on a fresh install everything should work correctly, there should be nothing crazy like this.

The import line in a python program is just trying to include a specific module, whatever you are trying to do with importing something is your home folder is not the direct best solution. Everything should be installed by default to run perfectly without anything like this, so then the question becomes why is it like this? -a brand new install should not be like this.

An install where someone added other versions of python, or a corrupt installation could probably end up like this.

Give more info, post your info as mentioned in the pink box above, and mention the detail, is this the first boot and have you done the initial updates, or this is after the initial updates, or a bunch of other software has also been installed, or stuff like that?
chalarm

Post by chalarm »

Colma wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:12 pm "Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintinstall/mintinstall.py", line 27, in <module>
from mintcommon.installer import installer
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mintcommon/installer/installer.py", line 10, in <module>
from . import cache, _flatpak, _apt
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mintcommon/installer/cache.py", line 11, in <module>
from . import _apt
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mintcommon/installer/_apt.py", line 11, in <module>
import aptdaemon.client
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'aptdaemon.client'"
This error message on it's self says the module aptdaemon.client is missing this can be a result of a incorrect iso.
However there's nothing we can't fix, but after this you start doing a lot and a lot at once, so let us please keep focussed on the issue for your behalf.

So please clarify how you reinstalled "Software Manager"
Colma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Colma »

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away for a while. A corrupt iso could be the problem, as I did have some verification issues a couple times with Etcher. I'll try a new iso install and let you know if that fixed the issue. The iso i grabbed was from the linuxmint website, but maybe was a bad mirror.

Return to “Beginner Questions”