LMDE4 upgrade

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

LMDE4 upgrade

Post by axisofevil »

Will the changes released in Mint 20.1 be applied to LMDE4 in the near future?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: LMDE4 upgrade

Post by antikythera »

Warpinator from Mint 20 is there in the repository for install, Cinnamon 4.8, Hypnotix, Ulyssa Wallpapers and Web apps may follow soon.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Cinnamon 4.8 landed today

Code: Select all

Kernel: 4.19.0-13-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: LMDE 4 Debbie 
           base: Debian 10.2 buster 
EDIT - The other Ulyssa goodies are available now too in the debbie repositories
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

I "upgraded" - although not automatically installed, Hynotix is in the repositories and works well.

Haven't tried the web apps - because I don't understand the point of them.
I don't have a use for warpinator.

I bravely/foolishly installed usrmerge - which converts some of the / directories into symbolic links to /usr sub-directories.
Everything looks OK

Code: Select all

System:    Host: hector Kernel: 4.19.0-13-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: LMDE 4 Debbie 
           base: Debian 10.2 buster 
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Hypnotix is quite good but it needs sorting it's country index sorting out alphabetically or at least by actual country. They are all over the place at the moment.

I did the usrmerge before these updates and nothing broke. As far as I can tell it's purpose is solely for better compatibility with cross linux distribution packages. I've tried warpinator out, it's good for quick file transfers over gigabit LAN. I doubt I'll use it that often but it's got to be much better than a USB drive or resorting to cloud storage if you don't have NAS.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

Warpinator has to be loaded on source & target machines - presumably only Mint/LMDE machines?
It's just as easy to install password-less ssh [for local use only] and use sftp. This works on any Linux machine.

The new features are described in https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_ulyssa_ci ... atsnew.php
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

warpinator is available as flatpak too so will work on any linux machine that supports flatpak.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

No flatpaks are allowed in my PC!!!!
Barnabyh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Barnabyh »

Nice. All the goodies from 20.1 and Hypnotix is super useful. Saves a lot of hassle fiddling with Kodi for live TV.
chalarm

Post by chalarm »

antikythera wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:35 am Warpinator from Mint 20 is there in the repository for install, Cinnamon 4.8, Hypnotix, Ulyssa Wallpapers and Web apps may follow soon.
The amount of wallpapers in LMDE is better then the amount of wallpapers in "plain" Mint. Just saying :-).
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

chalarm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:51 am The amount of wallpapers in LMDE is better then the amount of wallpapers in "plain" Mint. Just saying :-).
The same number can be achieved in regular Mint, open Synaptic Package Manager and make sure the following packages are installed (maybe a few too many entries below but you get the idea):

mint-backgrounds-tara
mint-backgrounds-tessa
mint-backgrounds-tina
mint-backgrounds-tricia
mint-backgrounds-ulyana
mint-backgrounds-ulyssa
chalarm

Post by chalarm »

antikythera wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:14 am
chalarm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:51 am The amount of wallpapers in LMDE is better then the amount of wallpapers in "plain" Mint. Just saying :-).
The same number can be achieved in regular Mint, open Synaptic Package Manager and make sure the following packages are installed (maybe a few too many entries below but you get the idea):

mint-backgrounds-tara
mint-backgrounds-tessa
mint-backgrounds-tina
mint-backgrounds-tricia
mint-backgrounds-ulyana
mint-backgrounds-ulyssa
I understand but my point is that in LMDE this is the default. :mrgreen:
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Not really, the reason it has all of those is the age of the original LMDE4 ISO build list contents. Each time Mint has been updated, the newer desktops have been pushed to LMDE4 users as well as part of the mint-artwork meta package dependency list :)

Also, I removed all but the latest because I use my own set of backgrounds instead. You'd get complaints from Mint users about too many wallpaper images causing the ISO to be bloated. Installed, that lot takes up around 500MB space.
murdokkk2525

Post by murdokkk2525 »

All the way around LMDE is superior to LMUT (Linux Mint Ubuntu Type) FarceBook Keyword: MUT :shock: :mrgreen:

Return to “Beginner Questions”