I can't seem to install LMDE...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
conwayphelps
Level 1
Level 1

I can't seem to install LMDE...

Post by conwayphelps »

I have tried all the various flavors of Mint and I really like Cinnamon above the others at this time, but I wanted to try the LMDE and see how that compares. I have tried to install it but it does not seem to want to install. I go through all the steps to do the install and, using the same partitions as Cinnamon, rather than booting it goes to the GRUB command line and won't go any further. I don't know anything really about this, but I do know there are ways to be able to tell it to mount a drive from the command line, but why would it not load the GRUB correctly from the installation. Is there a certain partition order that would work better than another?

I have an HP DA0073MS laptop with an updated UEFI with 32Gb memory. The main drive is a 2Tb NVME that I partitioned as 1Mb boot,grub partition, 512Mb EFI partition and the remainder of the drive as the root in ext4. I have a second HDD (2Tb) that I use for the home directory. Should I use a different partition structure for LMDE, and, if so, what is the best to use to get it to boot on the first try?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
conwayphelps
Level 1
Level 1

Re: I can't seem to install LMDE...

Post by conwayphelps »

I got the LMDE to install, I think the problem I had was with the partition table. I had the table as an msdos table but when I changed it to gpt table, with the same partition structure, it was able to boot with the GRUB without any problem. I had to make sure that the flags were established for the partitions with the 1MB ext4 boot partition as bios,grub, the EFI partition (fat32, 512Mb) flag as esp (it automatically assigns other flags once esp is chosen) and the root was not set for any flags. Once I had that it booted right into LMDE without any problems after the installation completed.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Re: I can't seem to install LMDE...

Post by linux-rox »

For future reference, if you're booting in UEFI (as opposed to legacy mode), the bios boot partition (the one flagged bios-grub) is superfluous. What seems to trip up people with the LMDE installer, which is different from the main edition installer, is that you have to tell the LMDE installer to mount the EFI partition (at /boot/efi), whereas the main edition installer figures that out on its own.

Return to “Beginner Questions”