NTFS-3G Issue on usb 3.0 on copy

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
allez99
Level 1
Level 1

NTFS-3G Issue on usb 3.0 on copy

Post by allez99 »

Hi , i am relatively newbie in linux users, i used linux before but not like base O.S.
Curently i decided to use Linux Mint LMDE 4 ( Debbie ).... and like base O.S. and comming from windows all my partitions are NTFS.
Curently i have not decided to change to EXT-3 or EXT-4 because in parallel i wish to use windosw too.... bat only if needed to do some tasks in software that linux does'nt support.

The issue: My partitions beeng NTFS and usb drive too. I seen something weird when copy some data to USB drive. Might Sync issue between Linux Mint and NTFS-3G. but i am not an knower.

Copy Some data to USB, the system say speed too high to be real about 170MB/s or something like that. And till the end, the speen comes down but anyway the proces comes end too fast . And after system say finished to copy the usb still have activity about 5 minutes or depending amount of data. If try to umount from gnome-disks it not umount till activity of usb stik is not end. Umount succesful only with Umount -l /mnt/usb** from terminal.

So i try some different type of mount exemple: mount with , sync, relatime, noatime, atime, async, and like wikipedia recommanded big_writes and lazytime and nothing help me.

Cannot use USB EXT- because at work or many users are on windows
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: NTFS-3G Issue on usb 3.0 on copy

Post by JoeFootball »

allez99 wrote: Copy Some data to USB, the system say speed too high to be real about 170MB/s or something like that. And till the end, the speen comes down but anyway the proces comes end too fast . And after system say finished to copy the usb still have activity about 5 minutes or depending amount of data. If try to umount from gnome-disks it not umount till activity of usb stik is not end. Umount succesful only with Umount -l /mnt/usb** from terminal.
The buffer is still writing data to the USB drive, thus the activity and why you can't unmount it until it's completed.
allez99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by allez99 »

yes thank you, can fix this ??
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

allez99 wrote: yes thank you, can fix this ??
If you're talking about purposely disabling the filesystem cache, I've not done so, and would be hesitant to do so especially with proprietary NTFS.

Regardless, if you'd still like to pursue this, I do find options, but again, I don't have any experience with them ...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=linux+disable ... stem+cache

Edit: Also found ...

https://askubuntu.com/questions/122857/ ... file-cache
allez99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by allez99 »

Thank you a lot friend, it work !! the issue was fixed with:

echo 50000000 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_bytes
echo 200000000 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_bytes

I will make a *.sh script and put it on startup, to make changes automaticaly at every startup

Return to “Beginner Questions”