Change My Password

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
biodad
Level 1
Level 1

Change My Password

Post by biodad »

Greetings. I have my Linux set to needing a password to sign in. How do I change it and
also, where is there a " notepad" or something like a "Microsoft Word" area where I can
type myself notes? Then how do I print them but that's plenty of questions for now.
Appreciate any suggestions
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LanceM

Re: Change My Password

Post by LanceM »

xed is the text app already installed. You can use the search box in the menu to find it or just type text. If you want to change your password >Settings>Users and Groups. Click the dots at the end of passwords to initiate the operation. Seep pic
1.jpg
biodad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by biodad »

Where is the search box?
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

biodad wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:49 am Where is the search box?
Erm... select it from the menu bar. You can't miss it. It says "Search".
biodad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by biodad »

well, I'm missing it somehow.

when I turn on linex, I get grey box in middle saying Linux Mint 18.1
nothing there has a search option

the Dolphin folder shows up on desktop with no search option

the only other thing on my desktop is google chrome
when I open google chrome and type "xed" in the search bar on top, I get a dictionary definition

a friend installed Linux on my laptop so that's all I get on desktop

I go to the lower left corner to app launcher and nothing there seems to be a search option
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

biodad wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:43 am when I turn on linex, I get grey box in middle saying Linux Mint 18.1
Presumably, xed isn't part of your LM 18.1. Also, it's end of life in 2 or 3 weeks. Of course, you only tell us now that it's 18.1.
biodad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by biodad »

Sorry about not saying which version I have here.
Didnt know there was different versions.
Didnt know the world was ending in 2 or 3 weeks.
I wont worry about that I guess.
Thanks for trying anyway
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Can you go back to the person who installed it for you, and ask them to install a more recent version? If your laptop can handle the most recent version, it will be supported until 2025.
Also there should be a bar at the bottom with a menu button on the left, that opens the main menu. A lot like the 'start' button in Windows. If that's not there, then that is not good and you cannot use all the programs that come with Mint.

We can help you with that, too, but it would really be better to have a more recent version of Mint. Because when this one goes out of support, it will stop getting security updates and eventually you will not be able to install software on it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
biodad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by biodad »

Will do. Thank you
biodad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by biodad »

I bet I can download the newest or best for me version. I am not a high end user, just
someone who hates Windows. Can you supply a link?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Sure! Start here: https://linuxmint.com/
And here is the installation guide: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... en/latest/

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”