Installing veracrypt via the terminal

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MR T pities the n00b

Installing veracrypt via the terminal

Post by MR T pities the n00b »

Hello wizards!

After 25+ years of mac and windows, I decided to hop to Linux. My main reason to switch was added security.

Although I have used computers most of my life, I am a mega-noob, greenest of green.
I am quite honestly surprised I even managed the installation process due to cinnamon refusing to boot, and then LMDE at first not wanting to boot. So please explain things to me like I am 5.

Having viewed a tonne of YouTube vids & reading articles trying to figure out the terminal, features and functions, etc. I came to the conclusion that I shouldn't try to mess too much with the settings without understanding what I am trying to accomplish. One thing people advised against was for absolute beginners to use full disk encryption, and instead opt for veracrypt for work or spy-stuff.

I can't find veracrypt in the software manager, their webpage is down, nor couldn't I find any LMDE guides for installing it via the terminal.
Could someone patient please help me get it installed?

Sidenote, I haven't ever had this much fun with a computer before. Feels like I constantly am a bit over my head, but learning so much. What is this magic?!
Thank You so much!

Br,
Pity the noob.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Installing veracrypt via the terminal

Post by JoeFootball »

MR T pities the n00b wrote: ... their webpage is down ...
I saw an article saying they're down, along with many other sites, due to a huge fire at a web hosting service. Hopefully back soon.

Edit: Found the news article ...

https://www.techradar.com/news/europes- ... owing-fire
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Installing veracrypt via the terminal

Post by t42 »

MR T pities the n00b wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:36 pm I can't find veracrypt in the software manager, their webpage is down, nor couldn't I find any LMDE guides for installing it via the terminal.
Step by step terminal commands to install local veracrypt copy in home:

Code: Select all

mkdir ~/veracrypt-app
cd ~/veracrypt-app
wget https://launchpad.net/veracrypt/trunk/1.24-update7/+download/veracrypt-1.24-Update7-setup.tar.bz2
ls
tar -xvf veracrypt-1.24-Update7-setup.tar.bz2
chmod +x veracrypt-1.24-Update7-setup-gui-x64
./veracrypt-1.24-Update7-setup-gui-x64
Press Extract .tar Package File button
Press Acept and Agree
Press OK

Code: Select all

mv /tmp/veracrypt_1.24-Update7_amd64.tar.gz ./
tar -xzf veracrypt_1.24-Update7_amd64.tar.gz
cd usr/bin
ls
We have veracrypt now in /home/v/veracrypt-app/usr/bin
Starting veracrypt GUI
./veracrypt

Now you have VeraCrypt application in /home/YOUR_USER_NAME/veracrypt-app/usr/bin/
To start VeraCrypt double-click on veracrypt or open terminal in the same folder and enter ./veracrypt
-=t42=-

Return to “Beginner Questions”