Google Drive folder

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Del Mir
Level 1
Level 1

Google Drive folder

Post by Del Mir »

Hi!
I'm new to Linux Mint 20.1. I used to use Google Drive extensively when I was on Windows. Now, in order to have access to my Drive folder in linux, I've tried installing "Rclone" and "google-drive-ocamlfuse" following instructions from https://linuxhint.com/mount_google_drive_linux_mint/. Both work properly right after installation and the drive folder appears on my desktop. However, when I restart my laptop the folder disappears! I'm just wondering what goes wrong here and appreciate any clarification!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Google Drive folder

Post by RIH »

Well, I followed these instructions..
https://www.fosslinux.com/1954/how-to-i ... 1-18-2.htm

They worked fine... with a couple of caveats..

Stage 2

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-online-accounts
didn't do anything for me as it was already loaded..
Stage 3

Exec=env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME gnome-control-center --overview
failed with an error --overview being an unknown option. I removed that from the line & the screen below appeared.
screen 1.png
From that screen I chose the Online Accounts tab & then proceeded to add my Google Account (that is Mail & drives, if you so wish).

My account now appears in Nemo under Network..
Del Mir
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Del Mir »

RIH wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:55 pm Well, I followed these instructions..
https://www.fosslinux.com/1954/how-to-i ... 1-18-2.htm

They worked fine... with a couple of caveats..

Stage 2

sudo apt-get install gnome-online-accounts
didn't do anything for me as it was already loaded..
Stage 3

Exec=env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME gnome-control-center --overview
failed with an error --overview being an unknown option. I removed that from the line & the screen below appeared.
screen 1.png

From that screen I chose the Online Accounts tab & then proceeded to add my Google Account (that is Mail & drives, if you so wish).

My account now appears in Nemo under Network..
Hi, thanks. Yes, I followed the same path when I was installing google drive for the first time. But somehow I'm not quite satisfied by the folder that appears as GD folder. For instance, you never know if the change you made on the desktop folder is synced with online GD untill you check it on the website:?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Both work properly right after installation and the drive folder appears on my desktop
Not a user, but which you do you want to use? I'd recommend not rclone as it is a snap package.

To mount using using google-drive-ocamlfuse, create a two line script, eg. googledrive.sh with the contents:

#!/bin/bash
google-drive-ocamlfuse ~/GoogleDrive
Make the script executable and put it in your startup applications. It will then mount every time you boot.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Del Mir wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:36 pm Hi, thanks. Yes, I followed the same path when I was installing google drive for the first time. But somehow I'm not quite satisfied by the folder that appears as GD folder. For instance, you never know if the change you made on the desktop folder is synced with online GD untill you check it on the website:?
Strange, that has not been my experience.
Indeed I just created a new Folder on Drive in Mint, added a file & then immediately logged onto Drive via my Browser. Both Folder & File were included in the Browser version.

I did notice that when I created the Folder & added the file in Mint both immediately had an 'arrow attached' (see added photo) but on re-logging onto the drive the file had reverted to a normal look. I am guessing that this is the process of syncing with Drive & I guess that will vary with the file size - mine was very small..
Drive.png
Drive.png (4.32 KiB) Viewed 7253 times

Return to “Beginner Questions”