merge free space into file system partition

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Del Mir
Level 1
Level 1

merge free space into file system partition

Post by Del Mir »

Hi! I'm new in linux mint 20 and was wondering how to edit my partitions! My system is dual boot with Windows 10. As you can see here, I've got some free space that I want to merge into the linux file system partition.

https://ibb.co/vHCq3Mq

I press the gear button and then click resize but don't know what to put in "free space following" and "difference" bars.
Thank you in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: merge free space into file system partition

Post by AndyMH »

gparted is the standard linux partition editor, not installed by default but in software manager. Use that instead of disks.

To resize a partition to use unallocated space, the free space needs to be adjacent to the partition you want to resize. If it is to the right, it is straightforward and quick to increase the partition size. When it is to the left, all the data on the partition has to be moved, in your case 14GB of data in sda11. To get at the free space earlier on the drive you are going to have to shuffle all the partitions prior to sda11 left, potentially a lot of data to move.

It is not clear from your disks screenshot whether sda11 is either your / or /home partition (gparted is much better in this respect). You cannot boot as normal and move either of those because you can't change a mounted filesystem and you can't unmount your / or /home partition. If you need to move one of these partitions you need to boot your mint install media and run gparted from that.

Before you start take a backup - just in case. Not sure how or what to use, ask.

That's a lot of partitions on a 500GB drive!
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Re: merge free space into file system partition

Post by axisofevil »

If you need to resize a disk partition, especially if it includes a mounted partition such as /home, you should boot from a live DVD/USB and run gparted from there.

Moving/resizing can take a very long time - many minutes or a couple of hours...

Return to “Beginner Questions”