LMDE 4 and flatpaks

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

LMDE 4 and flatpaks

Post by br1anstorm »

I've been a contented user of Linux Mint XFCE since 'Maya' (Mint 13.x) after brief experiments with other distros.

I'm currently using Mint 19.1 and 19.3 XFCE on my laptops (which are decent enough for my regular use, but not cutting-edge high-powered machines). I'm debating whether - and when - to move onward to Mint 20.x. But I'm in no hurry, on the basis that my present arrangements ain't broke so don't need fixing.

I'm now posting in this LMDE sub-forum because I've recently tried live sessions of LMDE4, and I rather like it. I'm attracted by its reputation for stability and less-frequent updating.

But while browsing the forum I picked up on one remark which raised a slight warning flag: that LMDE4 comes with the Flatpak "hub" (?) and repository included by default.

I'm not a fan of Flatpaks (or Snap) and thus far have only ever installed 'regular' apps via the Mint Software Manager - with one single exception: I use the Zoom Appimage.... and that's absolutely fine. I followed the wise advice of Pjotr and removed all trace of Flatpak from my current Mint 19.x installations, not least in order to keep them clean and uncluttered with stuff I didn't need.

So my question now is - if I do opt to move onward to LMDE4, can I easily and safely remove all the Flatpak stuff? Is there any risk in doing so, or any reason not to do so?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hazel-bunny
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE 4 and flatpaks

Post by hazel-bunny »

br1anstorm wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:34 pm So my question now is - if I do opt to move onward to LMDE4, can I easily and safely remove all the Flatpak stuff?
Yes, you can, following the same steps you did in mint 19.3, assuming Pjotr's guide hasn't changed.
Is there any risk in doing so, or any reason not to do so?
Short answer: no afaik.
Long answer: When I run apt-get purge flatpak in my system, the output is as follows:

Code: Select all

NOTE: This is only a simulation!
      apt-get needs root privileges for real execution.
      Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
      so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  [REDACTED]
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  flatpak*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and [REDACTED] not upgraded.
Purg flatpak [1.10.1-4~bpo10+1]
So, removing flatpak doesn't break any other package and can be done safely. Do, however, run a simulation before you actually remove it (and paste the output here, if you need any help) :)
Hardware problems on LMDE? Solution:
sudo apt-get install -t buster-backports linux-image-amd64 firmware-linux firmware-misc-nonfree

To use a version of LMDE after EOL, replace mint's Firefox with debian's one
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Re: LMDE 4 and flatpaks

Post by br1anstorm »

Thanks @hazel-bunny, for that reassurance. It's useful to know that Pjotr's advice applies to LMDE4 as well as the "ubuntu" Mints.

Not quite sure how to "run a simulation", but as I haven't yet made the leap of faith and installed LMDE4, I'll aim to cross that bridge in due course.

Return to “Beginner Questions”