LMDE 4 and KDE Plasma

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Glamtrains

LMDE 4 and KDE Plasma

Post by Glamtrains »

I have installed LMDE4 today, replacing my Mint Cinnamon regular. I then installed KDE Plasma desktop and it looks and works great.

I am new to LMDE and would like to know what to be expecting in terms of stability, update frequency, etc. Anything to be looking out for?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: LMDE 4 and KDE Plasma

Post by Moonstone Man »

Glamtrains wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:05 pm Anything to be looking out for?
Yes. Major issues with your desktop and and a dearth of assistance to fix them.

You have created a Frankenstein. Most people here will not help you fix any issues you encounter as a result of installing KDE, and there are many issues. You are basically on your own. KDE has its own startup processes that integrate deeply in the operating system, and so does Cinnamon so when you start one, you start all of the system processes of the other as well.

If you must have KDE then install a distribution designed and released with KDE.

The same was told by me to someone last week, and the person came back saying that because KDE was in the repositories then it should be supported and should work. The counter argument is that diesel fuel is sold at the service station but that doesn't mean I can or should put it in my petrol engine.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

KM is right regarding the Frankincense (sic)
But not so much regarding:
"Most people here will not help you fix any issues you encounter as a result of installing KDE"
Should read "Some people----
Personally I think what you are doing is perfect--the very crux of Linux--kudos
Make a system that serves you best!
Enjoy that Plasma
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

all41 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:26 pm "Most people here will not help you fix any issues you encounter as a result of installing KDE"
Yes, I agree, and that it what I should have written. Thanks.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:40 pm
all41 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:26 pm "Most people here will not help you fix any issues you encounter as a result of installing KDE"
Yes, I agree, and that it what I should have written. Thanks.
Just wondering KM--are any of your avatars actually of picture of you?--hope not! lol :P
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

all41 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:59 pm Just wondering KM--are any of your avatars actually of picture of you?--hope not! lol :P
Just the one...

the.real.me.jpg
the.real.me.jpg (27.89 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
Glamtrains

Post by Glamtrains »

Thanks to all for your candour. I have logged into my Cinnamon session and decided to live with blandness instead of eye candy. It seems one can't have your cake and eat it. :D
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

When a Debian base and KDE are your primary desire, you could look at MX Linux KDE (which is one of their latest spins).

Q4OS is another Debian-based distribution, designed to be about as user-friendly as Linux Mint and comes with KDE as one of its two default DEs as well. Only software support is lower out of the box, since Q4OS seems to primarily cater to small enterprises, who don't need all the packages that are available on Mint.

If you feel confident enough to use it, there's also a KDE spin of pure Debian. Just takes a while to find it on the official page, but that's part of your journey into slightly advanced Linux territory ;)
Glamtrains

Post by Glamtrains »

I did have a few KDE distro's downloaded already, such as Reborn, KaOS, Endeavour, Namib, Manjaro (ugh), openSuSe, Netrunner, SolydK - each with its inherent quirks. Somehow, every distro seems to be great but then some developer in every team seems to be a sadist that loves to make the lives of others difficult. Debian KDE was removed before I could even rather well get it set up after installation and I replaced it with Kubuntu. I did have MX and didn't like some of it, ditto Feren and also another.

KDE Connect still doesn't work although former versions had worked well. Is Apple perhaps creating the updates? As stuff fails after updates.

And the very fresh Kubuntu install still cannot wake from sleep....Linux really peeves me in that regard, albeit the remainder of the experience is great. I am not new to Linux, having done the distro tour from Ari to Ultimate ..... see my signature below. I have yet to find a distro that will wake from sleep the way Windows 10 does.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Glamtrains wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:03 pm ... see my signature below...
Many of us don't read them because they are rarely up to date and they don't carry enough information. Nevertheless, if you like KDE, take a look at KDE neon.
Glamtrains

Post by Glamtrains »

In what respect will Neon improve upon Kubuntu, before I download another ISO over a very slow connection?

As for signatures, they are there for a reason. I read them to try understand the person communicating with me.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Glamtrains wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:08 pm In what respect will Neon improve upon Kubuntu, before I download another ISO over a very slow connection?
neon has a semi-rolling DE so it's updated regularly with Plasma LTS. It's the KDE showcase for Plasma on an Ubuntu base. If you like Kubunutu, there's no reason to take a look at neon.
As for signatures, they are there for a reason. I read them to try understand the person communicating with me.
The comment was more of a hint to not write, "see my signature" if you need assistance.
Glamtrains

Post by Glamtrains »

Asking readers to read my signature is done with very good reason, which really is well explained in the signature. Perhaps Google "aphasia" and "basal ganglia stroke" for a heads-up - I had twelve and therefore am facing some challenges in understanding things and sometimes doing simple things. I am a former veteran Linux super user and used to be widely regarded as a geek; some even called me a guru. Today, I am far from that. I am trying to hint at not getting the typical senseless "every geek has his distro" type of response.

Return to “Beginner Questions”