Linux Mint DE as Server.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SETHANATH
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint DE as Server.

Post by SETHANATH »

Hi there,

I like Linux Mint DE more than Debian 10.10. I wonder if I can use Linux Mint DE, which would be released in August 2021 as Enterprise server for home business. I found the article below.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... -tens.html

I am thinking of trying Linux Mint DE as server without removing Cinnamon DE, however.

I hope to hear your opinions. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: Linux Mint DE as Server.

Post by ajgringo619 »

That article had nothing to do with servers; every one of the distros mentioned was for enterprise desktops, a totally different animal. Now, can LM become a server? Sure it can...but that's not what it, or the Cinnamon DE, was designed for. In my sysadmin days, I would rarely even install a server with a DE - Xorg libraries so I could run a server app remotely, but little else.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

SETHANATH wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:48 pm Hi there,

I like Linux Mint DE more than Debian 10.10. I wonder if I can use Linux Mint DE, which would be released in August 2021 as Enterprise server for home business. I found the article below.

I am thinking of trying Linux Mint DE as server without removing Cinnamon DE, however.

Are you going to run it headless? Use a distro that was specifically designed to be a server.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

SETHANATH wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:48 pm I like Linux Mint DE more than Debian 10.10. (...)

There seems to be some confusion here. Linux Mint is not a DE, it's an OS. It comes with several DEs, and Cinnamon is one of them.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Moem wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:23 pm
SETHANATH wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:48 pm I like Linux Mint DE more than Debian 10.10. (...)

There seems to be some confusion here. Linux Mint is not a DE, it's an OS. It comes with several DEs, and Cinnamon is one of them.
Moem, I think that the OP meant Linux Mint Debian Edition, i.e. DE.
SETHANATH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SETHANATH »

Rocky Bennett wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:07 pm
Moem wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:23 pm

Moem, I think that the OP meant Linux Mint Debian Edition, i.e. DE.
You are correct :) Linux Mint DE in this case means Linux Mint Debian edition. So, I do not plan to experiment as headless server.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

SETHANATH wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:18 pm Linux Mint DE in this case means Linux Mint Debian edition.
Then your post belongs in the LMDE section, not in the Main Edition section. I'll move it accordingly.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Use a distro that was designed to be used as a server.

https://www.techradar.com/best/best-linux-server-distro
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

SETHANATH wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:48 pm Hi there,

That whole article was about desktop distros. There was nothing in that article about server distros.
NGRhodes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NGRhodes »

LMDE will work perfectly fine as a server, there are no core differences between a Debian Desktop or Server and LMDE, the only difference will be the additional desktop packages installed.
I have a LMDE machine in the attic that I rarely login to the desktop, it acts as my print server, network file share and backup server, Plex and a few other things.
If you are installing a server from scratch I am not sure why you would not just install Debian.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

The only difference between a server and workstation are the programs and services running on each, or perhaps what they are capable of. Linux distros are less restricted in this respect than say Windows OS. With Windows certain programs or services are only available or will install/work on server editions. With Linux, packages are packages and will install on any edition, more or less, if the appropriate container (.deb or .rpm etc.) is available in the correct architecture. Source packages can also be used to build manually. I personally administer a ton of Linux servers, most without a DE, though a couple do have one installed because of the way they are used.

Something to really consider is hardware due to uptime. Example here is a server I have running Mint Mate 18.3. The thing has uptime of years at a time. No shutdown, no reboot, no logout. This computer is full ATX with server grade hardware. Supermicro server board, dual Opteron 16 core processors and 64 GB ECC RAM, hardware RAID card and Hitachi HDD's. These are made for the duty I run them at. What is not, is the power supply. Finding an ATX server grade power supply is easier said than done. Recently, after another 2 1/2 year uptime I shut it down for maintenance and cleaning. Booted it up afterwards and had random crashes and reboots for a couple weeks. Replaced the 650w Corsair Gold PSU with a spare 550w of the same (required based on hardware is ~300w) and issue resolved.

Shorter answer to will it work is yes, absolutely.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
SETHANATH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SETHANATH »

Thank you so much, everyone.

Return to “Beginner Questions”